Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Can't remember where I heard this (i may have dreamt it up!) but apparently french connection are stopping this logo as its too close to a word we all know.

Anybody know bout this, or DID I just make it up!
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: If it's true, which I doubt, I find it hard to believe that they've only just noticed! :lol: :rolleyes:
  3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

It is true, i read it in the Sunday Express a few weeks ago!!!

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I doubt if it's a case of someone just noticing. Maybe it's because they've been making their ads more and more 'near the knuckle' to see how much they can get away with (Despite the fact I'm a self confessed vulgarian, I wouldn't buy any products that advertised themselves through swearing or nearly swearing. Unless of course, it's a tin of Alphabetti Touretti Spaghetti..... ;-)) and the ASC have been getting at them (if indeed, that is the case). Anyway, Andy Euph is right, it's far too close to another description. We've all heard of KentUcky Fried Chicken, haven't we.....
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thing is though, IF this story's true, I can quite see a tabloid headline, i.e ' ''Fcuk'' off '

Must have been a Sun headline writer in the past..... :) :)
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

You have the mental age for it ... :p
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How dare you! My mental age is FAR too low for a Sun headline writer, I'll have you know!! ;-) :)
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well, I didn't want to say... :)
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Anyone who is a vertical as well as a horizontal reader would have spotted the offensive word immediately - nobody can tell me that they didn't know either. Why else is the logo arranged in a square?

Please! It's so obvious.
  10. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

but it isn't in a square mostly. but you do see it straight away anyway
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: :-o well well well... I better buy my t-shirt before they take them all out the shops!!

12. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I thought that was the whole point in the logo!
  13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

There's a chain of better quality hamburger restaurants in the USA by the name of Fuddruckers. A friend and eminent trumpet player, who would have nothing to do with bad language, caused himself enormous public embarrassment when suggesting to a group of us that we should meet there. He unfortunately got caught in a Spoonerism.

TIMBONE Active Member

Yes, I can confirm that it IS true that French Connection UK have finally got fed up with having to pay extortionate fees to top barristers to argue the case for keeping a very successful logo, which is almost a 'double entendre'. I have to embarrasingly admit that when my mother (in her eighties) saw the advert in Weston-super-Mare, (it had been in Manchester years before), my father went and put in an official comlaint to the management.
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Their logo has indeed been subject to numerous complaints, and they have been forced to drop one or two campaign slogans along the way. It always amazes me that some of the most dubious slogans etc are allowed through, whilst others which seem fairly harmless are banned.

I couldn't believe it when they said that the car advert with the starting pistol (can't recall which make, which may say something about how effective the campaign was :shock: ) has been banned as it was claimed it glamourised the use of guns.
  16. horny

horny Member

yes it is real-sort of-it is a marketing ploy-kids fcuk is ukfc

new member to be

name FLUK
  17. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I really don't think they have just noticed the fcuk is close to another word, i thinks it's more along the lines that that logo is passed it's sell by date, they need something a bit more fresher as thats been going on for years now!!

Of fcuk never mind:)
  18. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

my t shirt from america is mile high fcuk. now dont tell me it's not suggesting somethin!!
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Really? What?
  20. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member