Fax Software for BroadBand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Mar 23, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Does anyone know if there is any free FAX software for Broadband users...? I used to have winfax when on dialup, but haven't needed to have FAX software since. However, I now have a need for this.

Anyone know what I can do?
  2. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Do you not still have your dialup modem installed? I've got broadband but still use the internal 56k faxmodem for faxing.
  3. TheMusicMan

I do... but I am wondering specifically about Broadband faxing Piers...
  4. NeilW

NeilW Member

I don't think the fax and internet (broadband) are compatible.

Remember what FAX is: its a audio (like analogue modem) connection that is made directly between the two stations.

The Internet, however, is a connection to a "cloud" that routes digitally by IP address per data frame.

You CAN fax via the Internet, but it involves sending an image of the page (in the appropriate format) to a service provider who then phones your recipient on your behalf and sends them the image as a FAX.

You have to keep a modem of some sort - or send them an email :)

Hopefully that makes some sense...

5. butsack

butsack New Member

The fax software integrated into Windows XP is useful and free of course.
  6. TheMusicMan

Yup - it is good too, but unfortunately only works when connected to a land line. I want to use Broadband to send receive faxes...!
  7. rutty

rutty Active Member

I've seen plenty of fax-email services but most of them are paid John. Plus those tend to be where someone sends you a fax and it ends up in your inbox, not the other way round.
  8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Shame coz i'd find it usefull to be able to fax from my computer too, its a bugger trying to find a fax machine when you need one.
  9. TheMusicMan

Yeah, I have one of those Dave, with Demon internet. They give me a fax number on which I can receive faxes - and a great service it is too. I realise the incompatibility re Fax and Internet but just thought that in todays modern age there may have been some fax emulator type of software out there somewhere that could mimic a fax being sent.

Shame. :( Thanks everyone for the advice, guess I'll be buying a fax machine after all.
  10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Find yourself a local auction: there are often FAX machines in them. First one we bought lasted about 7 or 8 years then died in a lightening-induced surge. Current one (I think we paid about £25 for it!) also has an answerphone and serves as the band's phone number.

If like us, you get relatively few faxes, then its worth getting "Distinctive Ring" ("CallSign" in BT-speak!) on your line and buying a couple of boxes
    ( http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bt_twin_talk.htm is what I've got)
    to distinguish the rings so your fax machine has its own "virtual" line with its own number.

Actually, going to an auction's quite fun in its own right - just to watch the other people :)

11. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Before you go out and buy a fax machine check out:

You can use this method to send faxes using e-mail. The format of the address you send it to is a bit peculiar but can be worked out easy enough. Sending anything more than text could be problematic though, but not impossible.

I have used this service successfully to send a fax to the BB Registry:)

Don't expect immediate delivery though.

Cheers, Greg.
  12. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

It might be worth trying to investigate the possibility of sending a 'broadband' fax using PTN breakout facility. This is a facility offered by most VOIP (Voice over I.P.) suppliers whereby you can call a non-internet landline using voice over IP protocols whilst connected to the internet. It might be possible to send a fax in the same way but you'd have to check with a VOIP service provider. This will probably be a charged service (if it's possible at all) but as the cost of a call to New Zealand from the UK using this facility is roughly 1.5p per minute, I wouldn't think it'd cost much.

Incidentally, if you're trying to find a good VOIP supplier you could do worse than going to www.skype.com

Hope it helps