favourites for this years yorkshire area contest

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. who do you think will do well this year?

this threads directed for all the sections

expect Huddersfield and Ripponden Brass Ensemble to do well this year, coz if we don't, we are down!

2. Yorkshire Area?
    Based on current form I'm going with Grimey!
    Two Nationals in a row but here's something spooky for the form guide:

Every time Alan Withington has done two Nationals in a row (1997-1998 Brighouse, 2002-2003 Fairey), Nick Childs has come along and spoilt the party! What odds on Nick Childs getting the Nationals Trophy this year!
    :confused:

"I'm built for comfort and not for Speed!"

3. Duck of demolition

Duck of demolition New Member

Seem suitable for my first post.

I think

Champ-Brighouse
    1st-Skelmanthorpe
    2nd-Kippax

Hope i get them right. Might be able to come to the yorkshire's next year.

4. skel were 1 of the big 3 in last yrs 1st section, i got the impression all 3 were going up to champ this time, is that not the case?

the top 3 were so far better than the rest last year, it was almost as obvious as grimey, dyke and brighouse in the champ

5. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

the top 3 were so far better than the rest last year, it was almost as obvious as grimey, dyke and brighouse in the champ[/quote]

So obvious that grimey were 8th last year, dyke were 3rd.

6. agentorange

agentorange Member

Just what I was going to say. Great minds think alike!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. Duck of demolition

They certainly do!

Decided on my 3rd and 4th section too

3rd-Elland
    4th-Skelmanthorpe B

8. Col

Col Member

What odds on a Skelmanthorpe double in the first and fourth sections?

9. Duck of demolition

Well if you think about it, 1st and 2nd last year in the 1st section have both gone up, and the b band came second last year and i'm sure are working hard to win

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Bit of a Skelmanthorpe fan aren't you Ducky. Reminds me of someone.......................

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Nope, just the top two. Stocksbridge and Pennine.

I reckon Skelmanthorpe are a good bet, (Albeit we'll be doing our best to make sure we spoil the party!) But don't forget the bands who came down last year. (Can't remember offhand who they were though)

Throw all that into the mix and who knows. Should be a good open contest in the first section - especially as the piece is so old-school.

Wasn't it Brighouse, Hepworth then Dyke last year? With Grimey down in about 8th?

12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I'd like to see Grimethorpe pull another win out of the hat.

Possibly Skelmanthorpe for the 1st Section

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

14. Duck of demolition

well not such a fan, but i do like the band after i saw them in concert in '06 (I think) in Berkhampstead, which was an excellent concert too. Although i think the most memorable moment was when one of the percs knocked the gong off the stage. sheer humour.

15. postie

postie Member

16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I'm sure it's more than possible that you will.:p I believe you have made some quality signings recently (if my memory serves me right). :)

17. i know last years champ section results turned up some different bands at the top, but overall the last few years those 3 bands, not just at the area but in the other major contests, have proven how good they are

skel could well do a double, both bands did very well in last years area and if neither got promoted, then they could be hot favourites

18. Duck of demolition

looked on Yorkshire website and Skel are favourites in first and it appears skel B have to come in the top 3 to get promoted, don't know if that's right or not.

19. JR

JR Member

Any chance of giving this a rest?

Can't we speculate about Newcastle United instead?
    I'd give the job to Alan Hope!

(sorry)

JR

20. Duck of demolition

Hows about Peter Parkes (lol)