Favourite You Tube Master class list

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mesmerist, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I wondered if this would be a good place to share some of the helpful or interesting music masterclasses. I found this one on long notes. Everyone tells you to play long notes but he actually explains why.

Long Tones for Brass and Wind Instruments: A Masterclass by Andrew Williams
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not entirely true; there are a few respected brass teachers who are not fans of long notes. Instead they advocate what are sometimes referred to as "long notes with movement" (or something similar), where one plays extended exercises of a scalic nature, where the emphasis is still on supporting the notes with a constant stream of air, (exactly as if playing a "long note") but where the embouchure is constantly moving and adjusting, rather than being "fixed". I've personally been working along these lines for several months now, after having a consultation with a professional teacher following an embouchure malfunction, and there are definitely several advantages, in my experience.
  3. Mesmerist

Thanks GJG. I've always wondered what thinking was behind the long note advice as opposed to your suggestion of "long notes with Movement". The latter seems to be a more time efficient way of making progress?
  4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

This is my favourite You Tube master class:-

5. Mesmerist

(MRI) Chamber Music with Sarah Willis
  6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Try James Morrison's trumpet master classes. There are twelve very short videos. Here's the first one:
    Mesmerist likes this.
  7. pbirch

pbirch Member

this is one of my favourites - especially when he says "be brave, take a deep breath and blow the blooming thing"
    DS2014 likes this.
  8. Mesmerist

Thank you, I really enjoyed it. :)
  9. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Mesmerist, can you tell me where you found this, please? Is it on YouTube, or in a book?

Thank you,

Jack E.
  10. Mesmerist

Hi Jack, it is on You Tube;

Hope you enjoy it. :)
  11. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Many thanks, Mesmerist - I'll watch it now, and then try it out in my practise session this evening!

With best regards,

Jack E.
  12. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Mesmerist, I watched that video very carefully, and tried it out - and proved the steadiness of my breath control was RUBBISH, wavering all over the place! But his suggestions are really paying off, especially his point that those exercises are tough, and you should rest between notes. I've noticed a significant improvement already. I also found that Andrew's suggestion for focusing your eyes on the bell helped me to concentrate the whole of my attention - though playing a baritone rather than a trombone means I can't look at the bell, but focused on the corner of the fridge instead; same principle, though - if your eyes are wandering, so is your attention!

Whilst looking at Andrew's video, I spotted some more by a trumpeter called Warren Vache, and found his video class on embouchure most helpful - particularly his point about practising in front of a mirror! As warned against in his video, my chin was going up and down like crazy, my face was twisting about, my head was tilting as I went towards the higher notes, and my cheeks were puffing out :oops:; oops!

So I tried concentrating very hard on keeping all that stuff still, and lo and behold - I can now go down from bottom C to bottom G and back again without tying my face in a knot, and hitting all four clean and steady! :)

Another point I picked up from Warren's video was his tip of holding a pencil in between your lips, and closing up your embouchure to make the pencil stick straight out in front of you; sure enough, like his student, I found I was using my teeth and lower jaw, rather than just using my lips. A a very handy exercise that you can practise at odd moments during the day - as long as you don't mind other people staring at you! ;)

Isn't it strange the way so many vital tips and tricks - like the mirror and the pencil - are so ridiculously simple, yet they really work?

With best regards,

Jack E.
  13. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I think everyone will pick up something interesting from this fabulous player:
    Charlie Porter
  14. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

DS2014 - MINDblowing!!

Especially the part at the end, where he makes the aperture, blows into the mouthpiece without any attempt to buzz, but as soon as he pushes the trumpet gently on to the mouthpiece whilst continuing to blow - rather than buzz - out comes this beautiful clear note. I could hardly believe what I was seeing!!

Thank you, so much, for posting this link. :)

With best regards,

Jack E.
    DS2014 likes this.
  15. Mesmerist

16. Mesmerist

Loving this! Thank you so much DS2014
  17. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Her Cuban trumpet legend Arturo Sandoval shows his philosophy on the warm up

18. Mesmerist

19. Mesmerist

Loving this one. Learning so much. Great man.
  20. Graeme Euphonium

Graeme Euphonium New Member

Although Algirdas Matonis is a Euphonium player I am sure that some of his videos on you tube will be of Interest to most brass players.
    Here is but one of the many he has produced.