Favourite test piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ali Woodman, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali Woodman

Ali Woodman New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum so go gently!

I've been out of the banding scene for a few years having played for
    Sun Life / Stanshawe for 11 years as principal percussionist.

I'm now getting back into brass bands and am currently helping a local 3rd section band out. One of the things that struck me was the quality of the 3rd section area piece, Dark side of the moon.

It got me thinking about pieces I'd enjoyed playing at contests, here's mine, what yours?

Harmony Music - Nationals 87
    Paganini Variations - Open 91
    New Jeruselam - Nationals
    Cloudcatcher Fells
    Devli and the Deep Blue Sea

Hardest - Blitz (timpani part if you play it as written, rock hard).
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hi Ali. There is a very similar thread already on here, so our ever-vigilant mods may merge this one in or close it down - don't take it personally, though, they're very lovely and fluffy. Most importantly - Welcome to our little community!
  3. eanto

eanto Member

My favourite piece is P Wilby's 'The Seasons' cos we won the areas with it this year:p
  4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

how do you start a new thread?! i dont get this!!!
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

You click on forum tools and start a new thread

Anyway, mine are:

Year of the dragon, Sparke
    Dances and Alleluias, Sparke
    In Memoriam Rk, Howarth
    and probably Life divine, Jenkins
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hey Ali - firstly, :hi to tMP! I hope you have fun here and find some good stuff to read and give us your thoughts on too!

As Duncan (Bass Trumpet) has already posted, we have quite a few threads on test pieces here - as I'm sure you'd expect. There's quite a good one on your Area piece next year here which may be an interesting read for you. Otherwise just type "test piece" into the search facility and go for your life!

As far as favourite test pieces go, we had a huge poll last year to establish our (ie the members) 100 favourite test pieces - it makes interesting reading. The final results are here with a pre-results discussion here. Both are well worth a read.

Also as Duncan has already posted we do have a policy to try and keep duplicate discussions to one thread wherever possible as it keeps things much tidier and simpler for everyone here. So as we already have the 100 favourite test piece thread which I have linked to, I'll lock this one to prevent further duplication.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.