Favourite Solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

I went through our library a few weeks ago to find the principals some solos for next years programmes and found dozens I had never heard of. Turns out some of theme are really really good. Just wondered what everyones favourites were to play/listen to, especially if they dont get played much anymore. I found a cracker called 'After Midnight', its a flugel solo and its lovely, perfect flugel solo with loads of close jazzy harmonies in the band parts and sfp's scattered around.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solo
    perfect flugel solo
    principals
    years programmes
    loads of close jazzy harmonies
  3. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

golden slippers!

4. BobRalston

BobRalston Member

That sat up and begged for that response!

5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

My favourite solo (for horn anyway) is Variations On A Welsh Theme deffinately!! :D But.......... I also love sugar blues, I really love that piece thing is you can't play it on a horn :cry:

6. Moy

Moy Active Member

Not a lot of good horn solos about, you could count them on one hand.
    Come all you composers out there....write some new ones for us.

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I know it's an oldie Moira, but what about resurrecting Iona?
    Personally I think it's a little cracker.

8. gemhornstar

gemhornstar New Member

Sellers have done a couple of really nice ones lately ......
    We did a gorgeous flugel solo called 'In Heaven' by Tom Brevik lots of bells and really nice chords.Scarlet Ribbons has also just been arranged for flugel,band and piano,its a really pretty solo.As for horn solos Leah Williams recently did Philips Sparkes 'Aria' which is class a real show off piece for a great sound.

Gemma
    1st Horn Sellers
    2nd at Spennymoor.....COME ON!

9. Di

Di Active Member

Do you know who publishes this one please? :?: :)

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

When I grew too old to play Lazy Trumpeter I used to play Kim By Allan Street and Conchita by Eric Ball, both slightly removed from the standard air varie.

Conchita is particulalry good, and isn't heard much these days aside from Richard Marshall's excellent recording with Grimethorpe.

D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solo
    perfect flugel solo
    principals
    years programmes
    loads of close jazzy harmonies
  13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Always liked Brillante by Peter Graham, and also enjoy any theme-varie solos. :twisted:
    I also like Tubachannale that I heard for the first time in Steve Mead's recital at the RNCM Tuba/ Euph festival. :D :wink:
    In fact I like all music! Every piece has something that makes it unique/ special to us. :roll:

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Brilliante is a cracker, you need a good band behind you though. Had a nasty experience at the French Open where the solo went wonderfully until the last 'variation' and the band decided to slow to about half speed instead of getting quicker for the last 3 lines. Completely went to c*** and meant the top F at the end lasted about 10 years. Did the outside concert and they made up for it by going double speed, so much for following the soloist/conductor!!

15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! :lol: That was a bit of bad luck wasn't it! I suppose the band learnt from it's experience though :D :roll: Top solo though! :wink:

16. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I dislike air-variation style of solos. Give me a tune anyday as opposed to all this valve wiggling.

(Some would argue that this is because I can't move the valves that fast - oh well)

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

I agree 100%, I prefer a tune everytime, or something quick and flash but without the Air Varie structure.

18. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

There's a piece on Derek Kanes solo album which is a duet based around grandfathers clock.

Superb arrangement.

Worth a listen too ! ! ! !

http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21130.html

not sure of the title but i'm sure our Mr Bale will help me out on it ! ! ! !

19. shedophone

shedophone Member

What about percussion solos? I should probably post a new topic rather than hanging on to this one, but i'm looking for a decent percussion solo to play. :)
    I'm fed up of the typical helter-skelter/on the track/xylophonics stuff. Zimba Zamba's a great solo (Goff Richards) but its for marimba- and how many bands have one?! :?

20. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Railybobs wrote:
    "There's a piece on Derek Kanes solo album which is a duet based around grandfathers clock."

It's "Timepiece" by Norman Bearcroft and still unpublished.

21. BobRalston

BobRalston Member

Can be purchased from SP&S on their manuscript range though. I am surprised that I have beaten World of Brass to this!

22. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

SP&S have a manuscript range?

Is there an index of what manuscripts they have avaliable?