Favourite smell / aroma?

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by bbg, May 31, 2009.

1. bbg

bbg Member

Read an interview recently with a professor chappie from some Smell Laboratory somewhere - apparently humans can differentiate between something like 4000 plus smells.
    What smell / scent / aroma is your favourite - perhaps brings back memories of childhood?
    Mine has got to be home-made soup, I'm very fortunate in that my gran, mum, wife (and even father in law) make fantastic soup. Can't beat coming in from work , or even an outside band job, on a winters' day to the aroma of a pot of soup..........mmmmmm
  2. killer

killer Member

Claires Lulu x
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I love the smell of petrol
  4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Babies' heads....not a better smell on Earth...yummy
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hmm, difficult to pick one.

The smell when a shower of rain hits hot tarmac in summer - though I don't really know what that smells of - it's just different to any other smell I know.

The smell of a proper old-school bike shop. It's a mixture of fresh tyres, clean oil, brake fluid, chain lube and a thousand other things all mixed together.

Newly-opened bottle of amaretto....

Pannini stickers....

Really expensive two-stroke oil...

Think that's about it.
  6. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

As weird as it is - I agree with you. I like creosote too?!!!
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I hope you mean when they're still attached to the baby in question? The comment at the end might suggest making soup or something....

8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

well that's optional....whatever floats yer boat! ;) ha ha!

Personally the smell of babies' heads (attached) is the bestest ever smell ever on the planet...I love it....

Other gorgeous smells are; germolene, sudocrem, lavender, lemon thyme, Hugo Boss Deep Red, cakes baking in the oven, Indian food, Chinese food, Fish 'n' chips....oh I could go on lol!
  9. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I like the smell of a newly polished tenor horn.
  10. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Oh yeh I know what yo mean if Im in the car and it starts raining I'll open the window and risk getting wet just to get a whiff on newly wet warm tarmac!

Can't explain it though :redface:

I also like the smell of my hair after just washing it with dove shampoo. Though sniffing up hair is not recommended!
  11. MrsDoyle

I heartily concur! :biggrin:
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

Smelt mine today: it's a blend of stinging nettles, creosoted fences and allotment bonfires, that takes me back to being 6 and at my Gran's house.
  13. MrsDoyle

:clap: lol! Get the power hose out! ;-)
  14. Errol

Errol Supporting Member

The small of egg and bacon being cooked on a Sunday morning - especially when it's sunny, you've got up early and are sitting in the garden reading a newspaper.