Favourite rest

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by newoleahcim, Jun 16, 2003.

1. newoleahcim

newoleahcim New Member

Music has intrisic quality...it's an art form the shall always speak the unspeakable, and has a mystique that will never be fathomed.

If notes are the the blood, and rythym the heart beat, then, what are rests?

Therefore Mouthpiece people, I ask....what is your favourite rest / general pause / silence in a brass band piece?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    blood
    silence
    Favourite rest Music
    intrisic quality
    general pause
  3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Can't remember the name of the piece but the rest goes like this :

:twisted:

4. euphemism

euphemism Member

A sensible one - the last pause on 'Journey into Freedom' - listen to it on the Blitz cd at very high volume.......stunning

the pause is only as good as the bars before and after.....and I'm not talking about beer :guiness

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Resurgam - in the middle.
    Epic Symphony - Fletcher, at the end.
    Divertimento, Kelly - middle of third movement (more of a stutter than a pause, but still)

6. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not really a band piece but the silence after the climax in Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings takes some beating.

Igg

7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

The rests in Resurgam take some beating. Its amazing the number of mimers in between the rests. My motto is if you are going to play in a rest make sure everyone knows about it. Alternatively turn to your next man ( woman) down and glare at him/her.....but whatever you do, do not blush!!!

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I agree iggmeister, fantastic pause that one in Adagio - and the 7 chords following that pause..... well, quite possibly the best series/sequence of chords in any piece of music I have heard. Stunningly beautiful in my opinion... :D

and..... Oh yes.... I did an arrangement of this fabulous piece for band a few years ago. I'm not the worlds best arranger (more the best arranger in my house!!) but I had a go and it turned out OK. Was very difficult to score for band due to the number of actaves spanned in the range of the piece, but at leats it sounded like the Adagio... :?

9. the best rest has got to be the long pause before the final quaver at the very end of Blitz--the longer the wait the better the anticipation

CLASSIC!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

10. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I have to agree. The hairs on the back of my neck (I have none on my head) are standing up just thinking about it.

Phil.

11. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I prefer the choral version - but tis good indeed

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    blood
    silence
    Favourite rest Music
    intrisic quality
    general pause
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

.... yup - me too Neal.... I have a CD with Harry Christophers The Sixteen singing it - they call it Agnus Dei and it's briliant. The intonation and sheer precision of the high soprano part is superb.

J

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

yeah, the choral version is agnus dei, but one of my favourite rests is in pictures at an exhibition, before baba yaga, and half way through after the slow bit. those are nice, but I can't think of a favourite moment right now.

15. I have transcribed John Cage's "four minutes thirty three" for brass band.

After many pain staking hours, listening to various recordings, and attending live performances all over the world, it is now available on the "studio music" label, priced £80, all parts hand written.

I have tried to incorporate different types of rest, but my favourite was the silent pause in the third movement "allegro moderato"

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I hope you got permission first, as otherwise it could get expensive, as Mike Batt recently found to his cost.

If it could be termed a brass band reduction, will it now have to be called "three minutes thirty three"?

17. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

We used to have a (sad) band librarian who would time every piece that we played and put the time in pencil on the score. When we played the march Manhattan we were always after the record....but I digress.
    This librarian is now deaf so would not be able to hear the arrangement of John Cage's 4 minutes 33 so would have to mark it as 0 minutes 00....the ultimate rest.

I had heard that 4 minutes 33 cannot be counted as a rest because Superman's super hearing would hear the swish of the conductor's baton cutting through the atmosphere.

18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

My favourites rest is the one immediately preceding the main climax in the third movement of Contest Music. I'm sure you know the one I mean!

D

19. CRat63

CRat63 Member

I played a Euphonium solo a couple of years back called Shenandoah, arranged by Stephen Bulla. Not really a rest-but the cornets don't play at all in the arrangement, it is just scored for flugel downwards.......... Absolute heaven!

Craig

20. stopher

stopher Member

4'33

Having played Arfon's arrangement of this, I think he should do well with the college arranging course!

It was miles better than the last one he did! Yous hould see him conduct it too - by far the easiest to follow I have ever seen!

Chris

21. picju96

picju96 Member

Serenade for Horns has all the cornets tacet too.

22. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's a piece by Eric Ball published in the SA repertoire that omits cornets and trombones, and is written just for the saxhorns, but I can't think what it is called.