Favourite piece you've NEVER played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Mar 29, 2007.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

I don't know if this one has been done before, but there are a number of pieces I'd like to play - in public, to a good standard - but was never in the right place at the right time. I even did Pontins (not my favourite event:eek: ) one year because the test piece was "Resurgam". So, still to tick off my list are:

On Ratcliffe Highway
    The Triumph of Peace
    Suite Gothique
    Larsson Trombone Concerto (Accompaniment!!)

Probably some others as well..
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Gaelforce!! I love that piece, and one day I'll get to play it (hopefully!) :tongue:
  3. Veri

Veri Member

I have been desperate for YEARS to play Purcell Variations since I heard it at Pontins in 2001.

Recent additions to my list would be:
    Extreme Makeover
    Where Eagles Sing

I'd love to have a go at Alan Fernie's euphonium and cornet duet "Vivo per lei", and the baritone solo Donegal bay... And I'd love to have a crack at Journey into Freedom.
  4. flugelman

flugelman Member

Blitz for me. Quality music
  5. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

"Odin" and "Daphne and Chloe"
  6. NAS

NAS Member

Howard Snells 'Entry of the Gods Into Valhalla' and Robert Redheads 'Corpus Christie'.
  7. journey to the centre of the earth, fantastic piece with a nice little trombone solo in it

and this half counts, ive played the piece, but only on 2nd trombone, year of the dragon, would love to have a go at the solo trombone part!
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Waverley Overture by Hector Berlioz arr Howard Snell
  9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

In no order of preference;

Paganini Variations
    Extreme Makeover
    Judges of the Secret Court
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A couple fo the recent "big" pieces which I'm probably unlikely to ever play:
    Extreme Makeover and Eden.

Harmony Music, which I have loved since it was the finals piece all those years ago, Dances and Habineras, Le Roi D'Ys, The Bram Gay arr of Les Preludes.

Lots of Snell's concert arrangements too, although I can discount the excellent "Valhalla" as we recently bought it on the recommendation of our sop player ("its not that hard" he says...Steve what were you thinking??). I wouldn't say we actually played it though, it was more of an attempt at about a quarter of the written notes at about 2/3rds speed - and its a heck of a blow at that speed!
  11. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Is that a hint Ian ??

Anyway, on my part :-

:- Concerto Grosso - Bourgeois (played 2nd Eb Bass as a dep for YBS on just the last movement a few years back - would love to have a go at the Solo Eb part for the whole thing sometime)

:- English Heritage - Lloyd (Class Music :clap: )

Now I don't play with a band very often preferrring instead to 'wag the stick' these are probably both now unlikely.
  12. persins

persins Member

Extreme Makeover is one that stands out for me. It was an option for us to do at an own choice contest not too long ago but we never actually ended up trying it!
  13. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Definite hint, I've been mentioning one of them for ages! We played English Heritage before you joined us!!!
  14. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Harmony Music - I've even got a full band set of parts at home!
  15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

lFunnily enough, it'd currently be Extreme Makeover for me as well....

... although being capable of playing the little F & G March at the minute would probably be a toil :D
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Same for me, favourite piece besides St Magnus I think. Can listen to the YBS '03 recording all day.
  17. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Celebration of Contemporary Gospel Song. I love that piece!
  18. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Benvenuto Cellini - sounds like a good challenge
  19. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

St Magnus and Extreme Makeover for me!
  20. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Extreme Makeover.