Favourite old test pieces.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DiG that cornet, Jan 24, 2006.

1. With the Areas coming up I was going all sentimental and reminiscing about past test pieces. The first one I can ever remember playing was Othello by (I think) Drake Rimmer in the 4th section at Blackpool Mineworkers Contest (used to be a great weekend even if it was Blackpool in November!) I thought it was a great piece of music at the time but have never played or heard it since (it probably wasn't that good actually just time clouds the memory!!)
    Any other old favourite first test pieces out there?? :roll:
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Back in the 60's lower section bands used to trot out some own choice contest pieces like :-
    Homage to Pharoah
    Moses in Egypt
    Indian Summer
    Tchaikovsky Selection
    Quo Vadis
    Moor of Venice
    New World Symphony
    Beethovens 5th

Each one a gem of its time !!!

- Wilky
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

My first contest was Indian Summer, so naturally I'll always have a soft spot for that. I listened to it recently and it sounds nothing like I remember it! :eek:
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

I love Pageantry. Great back then and still great now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  5. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Got to agree with you Steve, I love it, great piece. I've got fond memories playing it too.
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Freedom - Hubert Bath
    Moses in Egypt - is that the Verdi Overture?
    Nabucondonosor ( the long version of Nabuco)
    A Moorside Suite
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I Lombardi - 1920 British Open Test piece, arranged by Charles Godfrey (I think). I quite like a lot of the old Orchestral stuff, but then I'm old fashioned :D
  8. paddo

paddo Member

Got to agree with pageantry, but also Moor of venice. Played this in the 2nd section about 3 or 4 years ago at the areas where (knottingley my band at the time) won by quiet a few points. Cracking piece when played well.

Well done at the week end bye the way Wilky! well done mate.

Sorry mods back on track

9. bigcol

bigcol Member

Four Little Maids needs a mention, as does Petit Suite de Ballet although I think that's a little short to be a test piece nowadays.
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Force of Destiny. Class
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

High Peak (Eric Ball) - it would still be an interesting test for bands!

... also haven't heard a band play 'Sovereign Heritage' (Jack Beaver) for a while
  12. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Have to be Kensington Concerto for me I think. Besides Resurgam, obviously.
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Resurgam and High Peak are both fantastic. How do you define old? Pre-1960? Although it was used at the finals I'd add Belmont Variations, along with A Downland Suite, Le Roi D'Ys, Variations on a Shining River and Epic Symphony.

EDIT: Moved to "Rehearsal Room" too. ;)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- 'old' for me is a piece from an earlier banding generation that has almost been forgotten in present day use!
  15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Resurgam and Judges of the Secret Court- got it out at band last week and totally loved playing it again! Apart from all the top c's that is.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I've always liked Siebert's arrangement of C├ęsar Franck's overture to 'The Accursed Huntsman', another underused work.
  17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Anything by Gilbert Vinter, esp. Variations on a Ninth and Spectrum

Les Preludes
  18. andyp

andyp Active Member

One that deserves a re-run for me is "The Three Musketeers", can't remember who wrote it though. Would be a good Area piece for 4th Section, and it's a nice piece to listen to as well.
  19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oooh and some more: Land of the Mountain and the Flood, by Hamish MacCunn

Suite Gothique
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

George Hespe