favourite movements in test pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Forest Gump, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

after the results of tmp favourite test piece poll it made me think about my favourite movement and after much thought i decided on elegy from a downland suite (ireland).
    whats yours

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ireland
    test pieces
    results of tmp favourite test piece poll
    favourite movements
    downland suite
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

*Moved to the Rehearsal Room*

(I thought we'd had this discussion before, but it seems we only talked specically about slow movements that time)

Yes indeed the Elergy from a Downland suite is lovely, and as you may gather from my comments in the tMP Favourite Test Pieces results thread the whole piece is a favourite of mine. Some others for the melting pot:

Green from Spectrum - sooo tranquil
    The Euphonium variation from Belmont Variations (is it var. 3?) and the trio and quartet variations later on.
    Var. IV-VI (Inclusive) (cornet solo to end of Euph solo variations - I know I'm right with the numbers this time because I checked :) ) from Variations on a Ninth. Stunning writing: slow, fast, light hearted, sad, passionate. Sheer class.

There are loads more that I can't think of just now. Will be back later with some favourite quick movements.

4. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

sorry if it's been done before but it must have been before i joined.
    my second choice was'nt a slow movement it was the march from the first suite in eflat ,holst

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Hmm.

Middle bits from quite a few of the Wilbys - including Revelation, Dove Descending and Lowry Sketchbook.

Finale from Checkmate

Middle bit of Year of the Dragon

Last movement of Contest Music.

I could be here forever :D

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

No single movement - but the transition between 2nd and 3rd movement of Year of the Dragon - from the sublime to the ridiculous - it is one of the most magical moments in brass band music and ranks alongside the finest moments of ANY classical music (for me it is one of the finest transitions between movements and mood - ranking almost as high as the transition between movements 3 & 4 of Beethoven's 5th Symphony).

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

A Time to Mourn from Essence of Time
    5th Variation from Celestial Prospect (I think! - the variation before the finale and the stupid solo cornet semis!)
    4th Variation in Kaleidoscope - neck hair raising stuff!
    From after the Euph Cadenza in A Night To Sing... the 6/8 before the Gravestones bit is possibly the best climax ever!

8. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

The beginning of Harmony Music, The middle movement of Triptych, the first movement of Rhapsody in Brass.

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oooooohhhhh.... the final section of Journey into Freedom!
    The Chiming in Harrison's Dream - a really nice effect.
    Also, in st. Magnus near the end when the tune's in the lower band and the cornets have really high fanfares - makes me think of Seagulls!

10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Whereabouts is a time to mourn in essence of time? In terms of rehearsal marks, what number is it? In fact, if someone could just say where all of the different 'time for...' sections are I would be grateful!!

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- middle movement from 'A Moorside Suite' is my favourite ... will test any band on a live stage to get it right!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ireland
    test pieces
    results of tmp favourite test piece poll
    favourite movements
    downland suite
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I tend to have soft spots for slow movements... especially Sparke and Grahams slow movements.....

Oh, and the last section of Music of the Sphere's is just awesome! ;)

14. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

second movement of Sparke's Partita - when played properly. Awesome music!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Nativity" from "Dove Descending" and the reprise of the euphonium melody in "Resurgam".

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

It goes:

A Time to be Born (start)
    A Time to Dance (euph/cornet/horn and dance like sway)
    A Time to Love (horn solo!)
    A Time to Hate (samba nightclub?)
    A Time to Die (flugel/horn solo)
    A Time to Mourn (cornet solo then euph + cornet obligatos)
    A Time for War (euph then +bari + perc march)
    A Time for Peace (ending - reprise of a Time to Mourn)

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I must say a particularly like the second movement of Salford Sinfonietta - Threnody, by Darrol Barry. Lovely music, just lovely.

18. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

How about the penultimate section of Downie's Purcell Variations. This is where the main tune returns but with Sop and basses on triplets underneath and above (obviously). Brilliant stuff.

19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Family Potraits - 2nd Movement Lowry Sketchbook - Philip Wilby
    2nd Mov Partita - Edward Gregson

20. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

I'm with you HBB- the 6/8 Adagio of Night to Sing is amazing writing!!!!
    The 3rd Section of Eden- although I suppose it wouldn't be any good without the rest of it :S!
    When Enigma Variations was used in th'Albert Hall... Nimrod, Fab!!

21. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

'Lento' from Journey into Freedom (final movement where full band theme appears)

End of the first movement of 'Contest Music' where there is a the big unison theme Flugel down just before the martalato....yum yum

Bar before the movendo in section P (quiet movement) of 'Pagannini Variations'

Final presentation of the tune in 'St Magnus' - back of neck hairs up everytime!

22. persins

persins Member

The chimes in Harrison's Dream.
    The opening / Reprise in Harrison's Dream.
    The last movement in Music of the Spheres.
    The Passage from "N" in Paganini Variations (Sorry, can't remember the Variation number!)