Favourite March

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by blue juice, May 9, 2010.

1. blue juice

blue juice Member

With whit friday fast approaching I thought it'd be fun to see what people's favourite or least favourite marches are and what they might be playing at whit friday.

Got to say that personally my favourite march is Honest Toil and least favourite is probably death or glory.
  2. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

With you on Honest Toil! Must say Knight templar is up there aswell though! As for least fav... Slaidburn.
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Surely Slaidburn and Death or Glory are road Marches not Contest Marches; or are we talking about all marches in general not just the ones played "On the Stand"

Contest - Knight Templar, Senator, Ravenswood, President, Cossack, Mephi, Wizard........etc.
    (I quite like "Arnhem" )

Road - Standard of St George, Washington Greys, Slaidburn, Death or Glory, Trafalgar.
    NOT - Sons of the Brave, Blaze Away - Sick of 'em, played 'em to death (not glory !!)

Having been a Bass player, I just loved a good bass solo in a street march to clog out and rattle the slates as the band marched by. (Naughty, but nice !)

- Mr Wilx
  4. Zappa

Zappa Member

Knight Templar
  5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Don't be too quick to pidgeon-hole - it all depends on the level of the band. Some school bands use these to contest with on Whit Friday don't forget.

As for my choice of contest march - a somewhat neglected one in my view - 'Bramwyn' by John Carr
  6. still learnin

still learnin Member

Get no pleasure from marching whatsoever but enjoy playing most of the marches mentioned above plus the Contestor and Punchinello as well as the S.A march Praise (as long as we're seated!).
  7. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I love Ravenswood. I also don't like Death or Glory (the sop part is rubbish!).
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Army of the Nile" is an excellent march with a cracking bass part.

Used to play "Thin Red Line" a lot on marching jobs.
    I've mixed feelings on that one.

- Mr Wilx
  9. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

Knight Templar for me! Love it.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm such a march-geek I could list many many marches and become excruciatingly boring without ever coming across one I didn't like. But for the sake of everyone else I won't! ;)

To narrow it down to real favourites, and ones I'd be happy to hear/play all night:

For the Contest Stand:
    Knight Templar
    The President
    The Wizard

For the Road:
    On the Quarterdeck
    Cross of Honour
    Standard of St George

For the Concert Stage:
    Torch of Freedom
    Aces High
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  11. floppymute

floppymute Member

Certainly agree that for on the road, if you want a bit of real swagger then you can't beat 'On The Quarterdeck'
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Can't beat "Montreal Citadel" for a road march ...

Contest-wise, my favourite would have to be "The Cossack"
  13. Supermouse

Supermouse New Member

Rather partial to a bit of Cornish Cavallier myself.
    Least fav - March 'Praise' but that's probably cos we did it to death!
  14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Swing that bass !!

-Mr Wilx
  15. _si

_si Member

My new fav (we are rehearsing it at the moment) is Cross of Honour, fantastic march!

Old favs are Glemdene, The Cossack and Mephistopheles!
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Washington Greys
  17. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

Has to be Montreal Citadel! With Knight Templar a decent 2nd.
    What About Barnard Castle for School Bands? Class!
  18. blue juice

blue juice Member

In addition to my original post I have to say that O.R.B is really growing on me and has a cracking sop part
  19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Do for me !

- Mr Wilx
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As a kid, I was awestruck when I first played Simoraine. It still sounds exciting and modern today.