Favourite Guitarist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Teflon1961, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Come on then...never mind the battle of the bands, let's see who the all time axe victim is!

I find guitarists like food... most people are passionate enough to think that their opinion IS the only one allowed!

Nowt wrong with that I say as I'm as guilty as the next.. therefore, my "who and why" is as follows:

BILL NELSON: (Be Bop Deluxe, Red Noise and 30 year solo career)
    Now some people may never have heard of this guy (well most of you I'd imagine!) but his innovative ability and technical wizadry is something to marvel at. He has a wisdom all his own with harmony and harmonics and plays the best duets (on his own) that you could ever wish for!

Streets in front of the rest, superslick and technically dazzling.
    www.billnelson.com/html/villa/study.php

Come on folks.. let's make this thread rock!

Attached Files:

2. jamieow

jamieow Member

I've got a few - Angus Young (AC/DC), Paul Kossoff (Free), James Burton (Elvis Presley band), Robbie Robertson (The Band), Richie Blackmore (in his 'Purple days) - loads more too but these are some.

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Martin Taylor and Steve Lukather for me

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'd have to say Steve Hackett wouldn't I - given that I interviewed him for tMP.

5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Horses for courses really.

Technically Ywngie Malmstien is peerless. If lightning fast arpegios are your bag hes the one.

Steve Howe of Yes - great all rounder
    Carlos Santana - master of sustain
    BB King - for blues
    Jimi Hendrix - legend

My favourite guitar solo of all time is Maggot Brain by Funkadelic - guitarist Eddie Hazel.

6. Texus

Texus Member

Sorry guys, but it has to be Pat Metheny. Most of his stuff is just technically and musically astonishing. Check out the Live duet album with Jim Hall. Their version of 'Summertime' is unbelievable. Buy any album or check out youtube.
    I also have a sad liking for Axl Rose though.....

7. CAVBASSMAN

CAVBASSMAN New Member

I would say Steve Howe (Yes.Asia) , Steve Morse (Deep Purple), John petrucci (Dream Theater), Bryan Josh (Mostly Autumn), Mark knopfler (Dire straits), Pete Townhend (The Who) and Daron Malakian (System of a Down)

8. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Slash is a legend! Awesome stage presence

Steve Vai, for me, is perhaps the most technically capable guitarist ever.

Tony Iommi = greatest riff-miester ever!

Zakk Wylde has a cool beard

9. jamieow

jamieow Member

some great guitarists up there - it's not all about technique, flash and speed though - I saw Mr Vai 8yrs ago - when I was a younger, more impressionable guitar student - I was well impressed but more recently, having listened to lots and lots more guitarists I now have the opinion that as good as these technical wizards are, sometimes, there isn't a need and you'll want to hear say BB King - plays with a hell of a lot of cool and style and tone - for tone it has to be Stevie Ray Vaughan - 13/14 guage strings!! Man, thats heavy.
    Robert Fripp - King Crimson etc is also great - have a listen and figure out his tunings. Another - Nick Drake.
    John Martyn...there's loads I like..

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I can't possibly pick just one, so here's today's selection (liable to change, frequently... :cool: )

The 3 Steves - Hackett, Hillage and Howe
    Dave Edmunds
    Albert Lee
    Joe Satriani
    Richard Thompson

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Be Bop Deluxe
    BILL NELSON
    SIZE
    people
    rest
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Django Rheinhart. And he only had 3 fingers on his fretting hand.
    Jake Thackray, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler would also be in my top 10.
    BMB
    xx

13. timbloke

timbloke Member

A few years ago I bought a random CD by a chap called Luke Vibert (aka Wagonchrist) who I guess you'd class in the drum and bass catagory? But the album featured a chap called BJ Cole on all types of guitar/banjo type instruments - mainly banjo, in fact not sure if there is any guitar in it at all! Don't know anything about the chap but it is a fantastically strange collaboration.

Considering I appeared on Gordon Giltrap's last DVD/CD I'd have to say him!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  14. oddbod

oddbod Member

I like listening, but I don't know much about the technical aspects of "good guitaring"

I like to hear Mark Knopfler.

I love to hear Paul Simon playing (Unfortunately - not so much singing) - particularly when he's playing something like the Davy Graham classic "Angie" amazing - sounds like two players.

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Dave Gilmour
    Garry Moore
    Jimmy Page
    Dean Deleo (Stone Temple Pilots)

awesome!!!!!

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

For me it's got to be Joe Satriani. Absolutely stunning!

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I know very little about the world's great guitarists, but in terms of the influence they had on their own band I'm a big fan of Dave Gilmour, Pete Townsend and John Squire, all of whom made their bands sound unique.

If you're allowed to pick bassists, what about Bootsy Collins?

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I agree with every word. Players like Steve Vai and Ywngie Malmstien are excellent technical players but their music often just seems to be a vehicle to let them show off.

BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan - what a combination! Have you heard them doing 'Blues at Sunrise' together its absolutely awesome.

Also agree with some other of the above nominees Steve Hillage, Robert Fripp an Mark Knoppfler - Wow there are so many good uns.

I also saw John Martyn live about 20 years ago - great guitarist but a little too laid back for my liking.

19. The Eggman

The Eggman Member

James Patrick Page
    [​IMG]

20. The Eggman

The Eggman Member

Angus .....Angus....Angus....
    [​IMG]

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I really don't have a favourite ... there are too many now to consider ... blues, jazz, rock, classical, flamenco, folk and other styles .... :dunno

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Be Bop Deluxe
    BILL NELSON
    SIZE
    people
    rest