Favourite Formation?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What formation do your band play in? and what is your favourite formation. We switched from having the Flugel and horns opposite the front row cornets and the euphs and bari's horizontal, to the other way around. Much prefer how we are now.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    formation
    front row cornets
    horizontal
    band
    horns
  3. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Heres our setup (Hope this comes out right!)

Troms | Euphs| () |Front|Sop+|
    | Baris |____|Row |Back |
    Horns Row
    Basses
    Drums Tuned Percussion

4. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

LOL Ok it didnt, Ok weve got a failry standard troms with euph+baris in front on one side, cornets (with sop on end of back row) on the other. Horns and flugel in the middle and basses behind with the percussion tucked away at the back!

We used to have the horns going Solo-1st-2nd-Flugel but we coudnt hear what each other were doing so we swapped round to 2nd-1st-Solo-Flugel and now we can balance as a section quite nicely. (When we want to!) :)

5. tubatu

tubatu Member

We have the same formation as tewkeshorn, except our front row cornets and back row cornets have been switched around. So now our fronts are our backs and our backs are our fronts! :? :? :?

6. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

i prefer the normal formation

but at my junior band we in one which is odd

all the cornets and flugal on the front row (all the way round the arch - flugal rep and sop in the middle!)

horns then baritones on the back row at the left
    troms then euphs on the back row on the right

then basses at the back

7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

At Langley they have cornets as normal, troms as normal, euph / bari across the middle, basses across the back & horns on right, BUT thehorns 'wrap over' in front of the euphs, so there are 3 rows in front of the MD

Percussion just tries to fit in around :)

[Edit: Please remember this is a family-friendly forum. Cheers, Dyl]

8. Moy

Moy Active Member

We set up that way to I think....Flugel opposite Principal Cornet followed by solo then 1st then 2nd horn.

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I prefer the 'normal' formation- which I see as front row and euph/baris opposite each other with flugel cornet side, then solo, 1st, 2nd horn... (then troms behind Euph/Bari's; back row behind front row (funnily enough) basses at back and finially percussion...)

Leyland have the flugel on bari side then solo, 1st, 2nd horns...

The bands at uni have flugel cornet side, then after 2nd Bari have Solo, 1st, 2nd horns (other instruments in 'usual places')

I've seen the front and back row cornets being "swapped" round before (did it in my old band for a couple of contests)... this was because the back row weren't playing there parts loud enough :shock: why they just couldnt have lifted their bells up I really don't know! :roll:

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My band's like that, and I hate it! I think it makes sense for the horns to sit the other way round so the 1st & 2nd are "downwind" of the solo and flug (ie on the right), then the supposedly worse players can hear the solo horn's lead rather than the other way round. (did that make sense? Its too early...) I think the section is easier to balance that way too.

My fave formation is with flug and horns opposite solo cornets.

11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I prefer what Naruco calls the "normal" formation, but our band has the euph's bari's horizontal, and the flugel and horns opposite front row.
    Even band formation's seem to sound complicated! :lol:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    formation
    front row cornets
    horizontal
    band
    horns
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We use a traditional formation, except that, being a large band, the euphoniums have a row of their own in front of the baritones, and we have two rows of horns. We still have the flugel in his old place, between the sop and 1st cornets, which is a pity as I think it is much better if he's with the horns, preferably the opposite side to the solo cornets to make the most of the spacial separation when they are bouncing off each other.

I remember going to see Grimethorpe in Birmingham under Elgar Howarth (c1977) and they used 3 or 4 formations at different points in the concert to suit the music being played. When Bourgeois' "Concerto No 1" was used at the Nationals quite a few bands sat the sop on the front row, as he had written the "top cornet" as he saw it as the lead player.

I've also come across bands where the top trombone has sat in the middle of the section (Melbourne Staff Band did this on their last visit to UK), and the Illinois Brass Band at the Open this year sat the Solo Euph next to the 1st baritone rather than on the end.

I'd like to pose a question to the other bass players on the forum: we are due to reorganise our section shortly, and I should like to see 1st Eb and 1st Bb sitting next to each other in the middle, which is not the way it has generally been done in our band. What do other bands do about this?

14. Naomi McFadyen

yes, both Principal bass players should really sit next to each other as you described... (a little fact I learnt from Denzil Stephens :lol: )

:wink:

15. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

We sit in the normal formation as you would call it.....

I helped a band out the other week, who are trying a very different formation for a test piece being played at Pontin's, formation as follows :

Front Row Cornet's : As Per Normal
    Back Row Cornet's : Where Euph's And Bari's Normally Sit
    Horn's & Flugel : As Per Normal
    Trombone's : As Per Normal
    Euph & Bari's : Where Basses Normally Sit
    Bass Section : Where Back Row Cornet's Normally Sit

Very Strange And Quite Disturbing, When Your A Dep, And Nor Expecting It... :? :? :?

16. Naomi McFadyen

Interesting Big Fella... I've seen this formation once or twice before... very weird I thought...

When I helped Soundhouse Brass at Exmouth this year, I was watching some of the outside performances... I forget which band it was, but they used a platform kind of staging so that the band were standing in 3/4 rows!
    Basses we're the lucky ones who could sit down at the front... then the middle of the band we're in one or two rows behind, followed by the cornets at the top! Percussion were then on one side (on the ground thankfully! lol)

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

woo first post!

Anyway, my youth band did an entertainment contest where we played a set of pretty funky music by Jan Magne Forde (cool norwegian guy). Anyway we were set out quite strangely. Trombones across the back, front row cornets down the left and back row and flugel down the right, all stood. Horns sat in front of the front row cornets and euphs and baris were infront of the back row. Tubas were sat in front of trombones. And right in the middle of everything was all the percs. No conductor. It was quite interesting and there was loads of visuals and stuff (like singing!) to do as well so it was good fun.

18. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

saw a formation last week with the basses on the left behind the cornets!
    was intended to let the sound out in a bad accoustic I think..

oops... thinking far quicker than I could type (as usual) ;)

19. picju96

picju96 Member

With the what on the left?

20. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

From my point of view the two main leaders of the band other than the MD are the principal cornet and solo euph, and I find it very useful being opposite the solo euph as I can make eye contact with her and in the case of my band, she is very attractive! :D

21. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Basses

oops...see above

22. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Have tried most formations but current is:

Conducter in the middle (tends to stand a bit too far forward so I have to turn into the band more to see him).

LHS of cond - solo cornets with sop/rep/2nds 3rds behind

Horns & flugal in front with basses behind

RHS of cond - Euphs/Baris with Troms behind.

Weirdest formation was with City of Oxford playing "A Leadsman a Lady and a Lord - 2nd sect Nat in 1987)

LHS of cond - 2nd/3rd cornets with flugal and horns behind
    Euphs/Baris in front with basses behind
    RHS of cond - SOP, solo cornets with Troms behind.