Favourite Flugel? ,which Flugel you play ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flugelfrank, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

Hello, what`s your favourite Flugel?
    I always played a Strad flugel but now I played the kanstul CCF 925 C Flugel, and I always thougt there`s no better than the Strad, but since I played the Kanstul my opinion changed:)):)

Which flugel do you play?:confused:

2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I have a Selmer Paris - don't use it in brass bands though. Great sound

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I play a Bach Strad as well.

But most Dutch people that I know, think that the Van Laar flugels are the best... :rolleyes:
    I've never played one myself, so I wouldn't know. I must say that the new "Oiram" model looks very nice in the pictures... http://www.hubvanlaar.nl/en/flugelhorn/flugelhorn4/

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

5. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I've got a Conn 85F Flugal and it's beautiful. I love it, it's my baby!!

6. I used to play a Getzen which was gorgeous, and I always preferred that to a bach or yamaha.

7. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

Eclipse.........the best by a long way!

P.S. you can try Eclipse from Fred Rhodes Ltd 01457 870805

8. bennem

bennem Member

Actually I think you will find the Van Laar the best :). I have a B3 and love it.

9. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Never had much luck with the Strad, difficult arrangement near the third valve slide (perhaps too much of a stretch for my "gurlie" hands!) I think they're heavy too. Ok if you guest the odd solo or session/studio work, but after half an hour on a concert I need a rest from holding it!

I reckon the Yamaha every time, the old "Red Bell" (1980's)was a demon for every style, but the newer YFH 6310 ZS in silver, looks the mutts nuts and is cheap enough to replace avery 5 or so years if need be.

Having said that, my experience with Yamaha is throw it away after 10 years. It'll be brilliant throughout and then just suddenly "go"! dunno why, but I've had two that did the same thing. Wouldn't put me off another though, I love 'em!

Nice thread!

10. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

"Gurlie" hands aren't a problem with the Eclipse.......you can have it "fitted" to you.

I've had a first trigger put on mine and the 3rd trigger moved to where I can easily reach it. The finger ring can also be positioned to where you want it. Not only that but you can get the instrument in whatever colour laquer takes your fancy...........or pay a little extra and have 24 carat gold like mine will be when I can be parted from it! (Mine is still raw brass!)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel
    kanstul CCF 925 C Flugel
    Strad
    Kanstul
    C Flugel
  12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Eclipse - simply the best

(and yes, I have tried the Hub Van Laar - they probably come second)

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For me, the Eclipse was out of my price range, and I couldn't get the Van Laar to test, so I opted for a Kanstul ZKF1525. It's a great flugel!

14. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

When money was no problem, I would test the Eclipse flugel and the van Laar.When I ever win a million I will start my own Flugelfactory!:)))))))))))))))

15. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Yamaha YFH631GS (and a DW2). Not the most spectacular instrument compared to others but works beautifully for me.

16. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I agree! Got one recently and I'm loving it :D

And yes, definitely go to Fred Rhodes. Glyn let me play around in there for the best part of three hours and was very helpful. Just don't let him talk you into making it green or having your initials on!

I was nearly swayed by the scratch finish but chickened out after imagining the ribbing I would get at band and went for the boring old laquer instead. It's still a thing of beauty though... <swoon>

17. gixerjunkiemykee

gixerjunkiemykee New Member

I used to have a BSP bach strad and loved it but wanted 'more'. After much umming and aaring opted for a conn vintage one. Hard to blow in but what a 'voice' and really sexy in satin (ooh er missus).

18. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Kanstul 1525

19. catflug

catflug New Member

I play on an 'Olds'...Taken me ages to get used to it but it has a really big sound when I can fill it!!
    Denham Band

20. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I have a Bach Strad, I love it. I've played on a few others but I still prefer the strad, with the overall feel, sound and ease to play.

21. AndyFlugel

AndyFlugel New Member

Jupiter 846RL

Primarily play Euphonium, but sometimes play Flugel - budget was an issue, but the 846RL is a superb little instrument, especially for the price :D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel
    kanstul CCF 925 C Flugel
    Strad
    Kanstul
    C Flugel