Favourite Flugel Horn Solo's?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flugel_Player, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Flugel_Player

Flugel_Player Member

So what are your favourite flugel horn solo?:p
  2. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I'm a big fan of So Glad by Bill Himes, and also the Aranjuez one
  3. Flugel_Player

Flugel_Player Member

i like children of a sanchez
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Robert Redhead wrote "He Is Lord" for Flugel Horn and that's very nice; recorded by Robert Foster with the ISB among others.

Brian Bowen also wrote a solo some years ago, called, if memory serves me, Rhapsody on Swiss Melodies (?).

Although not strictly a flugel solo, "In The Sweet By and By" (Len Ballantine?) is a flugel feature.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I still enjoy listening to a certain recording of Philip Wilby's 'Flight'.
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

So Glad is great!! I love it and have some very happy memories of playing it, including it being introduced as "Glad for it" by a guest conductor once. I guess you had to be there and it could well be my sense of humour, but I struggled to play for laughing after the "and next we have Ian Hayto, Glad for it....." introduction.

Others, well the Himes (again) Concertino for Flugel and Brass Band proves that the flugel can do more that jazzy numbers - the second movement is nice, but the final Tarentella is a real show stopper if you can get round it (its actually not that difficult...). I have also really enjoyed playing the Freeh arrangement of I've Got You Under My Skin and also The Folks Who Live on the Hill (can't remember who arranged this, Darrol Barry???) I guess both kinda suit my style of playing but they're both great little solos.

Currently playing My Ain Folk which is a lovely melodic solo - takes me back *cough* years to when I used to compete at local solo contests, but will soon be changing to either The Lark In the Clear Air or Dimitri.

Oh and you could also try The Ballad of the Wooden Flugel by our very own Will the Sec. I hear its pretty good although the bloke its written for is a little dodgy...;)
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Folks on the Hill is Richards
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Ben :D
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

There's a piece on the 2004 (I think) European CD called "Domen" played by Stavanger/Magrethe Tonnesen (I think that's her name - I don't have the CD to hand). A kind of slow jazzy number; I don't know if it's been published but it's very cool. If anyone has any Norwegian contacts (or knows David King) they may be able to find out?
  10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Domen is by Jan Magne Forde and is published by Warner Brothers I think. Superb solo.

I love Mull of the Cool Bens for flugel (especially when played by Iwan Williams):clap:
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

How about ..... Ye Banks and Braes
    I also like Children of Sanchez
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

13. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Mark Freeh's arrangements of Laura and April in Paris......
  14. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

It was actually written by Leslie Condon for me to play with the ISB on its Swiss tour of 1973. I can't be sure of the exact title either.

I did do an arrangement for flugel of Gluck's aria popularly known as "What is Life". It's published by SP&S (GS1706).
  15. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

I Like Over the Rainbow
  16. Pastit

Pastit Member

Senza Mamma from Suon Angelica as played by Simon Stonehouse on Fairey's 'Lets's Go' CD from a few years ago is a fabulous piece rarely heard these days.
  17. davidsait

davidsait Member

Definitely Lark in the Clear Air arr. Stephen Roberts.
  18. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction Brian.

I'm sure I've got a recording of Robert Foster playing it at the Shaw Festival Theatre at Niagara on the Lake when he was the guest of Hamilton Temple Band. That was shortly before I joined the band. I'll have a look this weekend.
  19. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

i like share my yoke to play or georgia on my mind to listen to but i hate playing it lol also love listening to i dont know how to love him but have played it to death!!!!
  20. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Oh easy one this! Freddie Hubbards solo on "Rain Dance" from the album "Water Sign" by the Jeff Lorber Fusion. A real solid funky groove with Freddie weaving his magic across the top, skimming over the tops of the chords with lots of ninths, thirteenths and flattened tenths. A real soulfull excursion with a sanctified groove.

Whats that you say? never heard of Freddie Hubbard? you want to know who he is signed with? dear oh dear!!! call yourselves Flugel Players???