Favourite Conductor ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flugelfrank, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

What`s your favourite conductor? What`s important for you in a good conductor? The results, his way of conduction, his social quality....????????

I think it must be a mix off all and the conductor must give you the feeling of being a team.

My favourite conductors are:

Hendry van Loo (my old conductor of Elspeets Fanfare Band. He also conducts Desford and Fodens at their Holland Tour a few years ago)

Thijs Musch ( my old conductor of Brassband Wilp, when I played sop.Now he is the new Conductor of The Amsterdam Staff Band, Of the Salvation Army)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Texus

Texus Member

Are we limiting this to bands, or can it be applied to all styles?
    In terms of Banding - My tutors when i first started playing (thanks guys), Nigel Seaman - very clever, astute, encouraging of all aspects of my banding (playing, conducting and arranging) and Nigel Taken for his ability to produce contest performances from limited resources.

Outside of Bands - Bill Ashton of NYJO. A true character and always a fabulous band to be involved in or hear.

Solti for the sheer volume of his brass sections. Awesome!
  3. smaca

smaca Active Member

The 2 people who have had the biggest impact on me at a rehearsal were Peter Parkes and Walter Hargreaves. Didn,t know them as individuals, but musically at rehearsals they were in a different league.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Orchestrally, I'm a big fan of Martyn Brabbins. Good teachnique, totally professional and a jolly nice chap too. But then, he comes from a banding background! Recently played with Walter Weller, Sakari Oramo, Tadaaki Otaka and Daniel Harding. All top notch.
  5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Conductors who I have never played under (and never will!);

Maris Janssons; several memorable perfomances at the BBC Proms including An Alpine Symphony with Olso Philharmonic.

Bernhard Haitink; massive Mahler 6 again at the Proms, with the European Union Youth Orchestra.

Essa-Pekka Salonen; One of the clearest classical conductors I have ever seen.

Conductors who I have played under;

Bramwell Tovey; in the two band concerts he has conducted (Clarence Adoo Brass Band), plus one ISB rehearsal, brought more out of my playing than I ever thought existed.

Lawrence Leonard; conducted Morley College Orchestra in The Rite of Spring in Southwark Cathedral, likely to be the one and only time I play this piece. He had the ability to make the orchestra play things to a level they never thought possible. He also had a great sense of humour. When a violinist left a Rite rehearsal early his reply to the response that she was feeling ill was 'I hope it wasn't the music'.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  6. sheilawinter

sheilawinter Member

My favourite Conductor has to be Brett Baker Followed closely by Michael Fowles
    Ive also played under the direction of many other championship condutors whilst doing 13 courses at National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain
    My brother Martin Winter is also a very good
  7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

For me it has to be Garry Cutt. On the very few occasions I have played under him, the rehearsals were amazing... he kept the whole band on the edge of their seats.
  8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

My two favorites would have to b Dick Evans fo sheer enthusiasm and knowing how to get exactly what you want out of a band. Chris Houlding for musical knowledge and been willing to do anything to get the point across!!
  9. BrianT

BrianT Member

As a Midland Youth Orchestra member years ago, I was lucky enough to be at a practice taken by Simon Rattle.

I will never forget him telling the string players to breathe with the phrase. They looked at him like he was mad, ("I don't breathe, I'm a violinist") but it made a difference.
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Never say 'never'!

Banding-wise, there is a very mixed bag around. A lot of our so-called 'top' players have gone into conducting with very mixed results. Many good players end up conducting because there's nobody else, especially in lower section bands. I've come across some real dross in my time, both banding and professionally, and also quite a few surprises.

Banding, I've a great deal of respect for Dave Stowell (conductor of my last band). He can run a rehearsal with good humour, but never fails to get the job done. Jim Gourlay also has a similar disposition, friendly, but never fails to get total respect and admiration from the players.
  11. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

Bram Tovey!!!! asolute legend! Nick Childs' rehearsals were always good fun too
  12. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

For me, it has to be Richard Evans. When your sat in a rehearsal, he has so much energy it makes you want to play the piece for him, even if you dont like it. And his sense of humour makes things very relaxed and music making even more enjoyable. A true legend :clap:
  13. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

For me, a good conductor knows what he wants to get from the music, but goes about this the right way, having respect for his/her players throughout. I've played under many conductors who are musically brilliant but lacking in people skills - naming no names! My time in the NYWOW was a case in point - we all wanted to do so well for our newest conductor as he was just so nice, whereas with the previous one you did well as you were afraid to get it wrong!

Band-wise I like Richard Evans and Bob Childs, and have been fortunate enough to play under both.

From the orchestral world - Martyn Brabbins, I hope in a small way that I'm a descendant of his as my teacher was a pupil of his at RSAMD years ago! Bernard Haitink for being able to control his orchestra in such a precise and fresh way despite his age.
  14. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

For me it would be Steve Sykes - he seems to be able to get players to play way above their own technical limitations and paces a rehearsal very well.
  15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Will second that about Dave. A fantastic musician and a top bloke with it as well.
  16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

you after a promotion to principal bass bone or what??? :)

and yes, I am one of the limited resourses Tex refers too.. :)
  17. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I certainly endorse Ploughboy's comments re: Chris Houlding. His communication and musicality are of the highest level.

My current favourite has to be Ray Farr. Superb direction, attention to detail (I know how much work he puts in to the preparation side).... and a presence that lifts a performance......and how many other mentors (I'm currently attending his conducting course at Durham University) could inspire me to help the rank outsiders take 6 out of 8 prizes at my first ever contest!
    (Sorry Gary...not really trying to rub it in.)

18. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Peter Parkes, Melvin White and Steve Bastaple(only if you don't mind tough rehearsals) and me of course;)
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The best orchestral conductor I've ever met (although not played for) is Sir Charles Mackerras. In banding I played under Bram Tovey and Edward Gregson at the NYBBW, both of whom I thought were superb. It's a shame Gregson doesn't do much conducting. I'd also endorse the vote for Nigel Seaman earlier, a fine musician.
  20. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I went to a Brass Training Day a couple of years ago with Steve Sykes - I've never worked so hard in my life! "13 before B - GO!" . I'd go a long way for another day like that.