Favourite concert repertoire - What do you enjoy playing and listen to ??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jacob Larsen, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

As a Danish brass band conductor I would like to know what the UK band likes
    to play and listen to ????

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I love to listen to a top UK band i.e Balck Dyke Mills etc play quality music such as a test piece and solos .
    As a player: I like music that you get a buzz from playing
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wow thats a big question :)

For me I like to play stuff that challenges me in some way (arrgh just realised this sounds like an answer to a job interview question...).

Currently my two favorites in our concert program are 'Mid All The Traffic (Ballentine) and The Water Is Wide (arr. Duncan) which are both quite similar pieces in that they are quite easy to play technically, but you need to work to get the emotion of the piece out. We're working up the Farr arrangement of Over the Rainbow which will challenge me as a soloist (not to mention the band who have some tricky parts to play too). Although our concert rep. doesn't tend to get too technically difficult there are some pieces I've enjoyed - Serenata was a laugh - especially as our MD wanted to take it a break neck speed. But generally anything that makes me think. I'm not really that interested by the stuff I can play after a couple of run-throughs.

Its much the same with contest pieces - I really don't like to do the same piece more than once. Its very much a case of "been there, done that" and while there is always something you can improve upon, the buzz of learning and getting on top of an entirely new piece is missing when you've played something before.
  4. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Yes testpieces and original music is also my favourite style, but I was also thinking of popular pieces UK band play at concerts... Could be pop arrangements, classical transriptions, marches, hymns etc... My idea with this thread is to get some ideas for new repertoire to do with my bands in Denmark...
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

What, like a certain ballad? :biggrin:
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We normally like to balance our concert programmes so that we include something for everyone that is likely to be in the audience. There is a well known expression regarding audiences that goes "they know what they like and they like what they know".

Unless you have specifically been asked for a certain style or genre of music then i believe that a bit of everything from classical to jazz, rock/pop, musicals, marches, and of course some specifically Brass band music ought to keep everyone happy. That also should make the players happy too.

We recently played the Scherzo from Shostakovitch Symphony No. 10 and that got the best applause of the evening which rather surprised some of our band!
  7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Personally I go for a more traditional repertoire (at least to start with).
    March - ORB
    Overture - Ruy Blas (absolutely amazing piece)
    Something gentle - Share my Yoke
    Cornet Solo - a good air & varie
    Film music - Lion King (loving this at the mo)
    Original - Maybe test the nerve with a forthcoming test piece
    1st half finisher - original again - Shine as the light??

2nd half - a bit of fun.
    Maybe start with a lightish overture. Include some more film music, percussion feature, trombone trio etc ("I will follow him" always goes down well). Finish with a belter and have a quick onchore up your sleave...

That's my kind of concert!! :tup