Favourite concert finisher

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Syrup, Oct 7, 2004.

Favourite concert finisher

1. Pines of Rome

2. Procession to the Minster

3. Tchaikowsky 4th symphony finale

4. Shine as the Light

5. William Tell overture finale

6. Saint Saens organ symphony finale

7. Other

1. Syrup

Syrup Member

What is your favourite piece as a finisher to a concert, either as a player or listener?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Of the choices I went with William Tell (although Stars and Stripes is my personal favorite :) ).

I'm surprise Floral Dance wasn't on the list ;)
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

4. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Something short preferably...more time for :guiness then :cool:
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

They don't want me looking at their site!

Suspicious User Agent Detected

You are seeing this page as the browser that you have used to access bowlie.com is currently in our range of blocked User Agents (Browser ID) and thus you have been kicked off of bowlie.com.

We block user agents to prevent web spiders from retrieving too much personal or private data from our sites... to generally protect the privacy of our users.

We have needed to do this to prevent e-mail harvesters spamming our users, or data being collected about our users without their consent.

Getting Access

We're not infallible, and sometimes we accidentally block users who happen to have a User Agent that matches part of our list.

If you are being blocked in error, then please feel free to e-mail me the full URL that you were trying to access and the details of your browser User Agent.

Your User Agent is:

You can send this to david @ buro9 . com and I shall look at it at the earliest opportunity."
  6. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Pines Of Rome - Massed Bands - Plymouth Pavillions (some years ago) - European Championship Gala Concert - What a buzz and privelidge to play as part of the massed band
  7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

could always go back to a 'proper' browser like IE Kirsty ;)

Mind, i have though that you are a bit suspicious..... :shock:
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For me, my favourite finisher would be Denzil Stephen's arrangement of The Ninth Of January (11th Symphony, Shostakovich). Stirring stuff that is every bit exciting to play as it is to listen to! Cory did a good job of it live at the European in 1989. :)

... makes me wonder why no band tries this piece? :rolleyes:
  9. Syrup

Syrup Member

I actually enjoyed playing Floral Dance!!
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Shine as the Light...we did it at my Dad's memorial concert this year and it was a fantastic, fitting tribute to a top bloke. Was hard for me, due to being absolutely knackered from the concert and emotionally too - the slow movement with our principal playing his heart out was a real tear jerker - I couldn't imagine a better way to finish that particular concert.
  11. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Reunion and Finale from Gettysburg, knackering with about 50million modulations, but absolutely amazing!!!!! :D
  12. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Procession to the Minster - I absolutely love it!
  13. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Difficult to think of a favourite. A ritual burning of the Floral Dance would be up there, though.... (So Ritual Fire Dance can become Ritual Floral Dance!)

I think the William Himes Amazing Grace arrangement or Wilfred Heaton's Meditiation on Just As I Am would be a good finisher! Doesn't have to be a 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' piece!
  15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Hear hear Dave.
    A couple of years ago, I went to a concert in Norwich with Fodens, under Mr Tovey.
    They finished with Abide With Me. No applause. It was a great feeling.
  16. andyp

andyp Active Member

Of the choices, Procession to the Minster wins for me simply because I love Wagner's music, and it's an excellent arrangement. Ultimate finisher would be "Tristan and Isolde" arranged by Alexander Owen, but at 32 minutes it might be too tiring for the band and the audience alike!
    I'd happily listen to any of the choices played well, though.

BTW, I'm happy to bring the petrol+matches for the ritual burning of the fl**al d**ce! :evil:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

My favourite finisher is going to the pub after the concert....liquid refreshment! Can't fault it!!
  18. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

just a glass of coke works wonders after a concert... hehe i wouldnt go for anything else... anyhoo pieces wise, i would have to say...procession to the minster- its my absolute favorite piece ever!!! even if it does hurt arms to play percussion parts at the end it is one fantastic piece of music, and a definate concert finisher!
  19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Pines of Rome!! :) :D ;) :cool: :-D

then a quick :guiness
  20. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I've heard Dyke finish with the 1812 overture a couple of times, that sounds amazing! Really sends shivers down my spine. Must be a hard blow at the end of a concert though.. I don't envy them!