Favourite Christmas Song

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Dec 11, 2003.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Seeing as it's that time of year, what's your favourite Christmas song?

I'll throw my two faves in to the pot:

Let It Snow! - Dean Martin
    Fairytale of New York - The Pogues & Kirst McColl
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

One minute we're bagging carols, then we're looking for our favourite??????

Well to be honest, I still say Santa Claus-trophobia. Or Oh Holy night (the eupho solo and the SA publication)
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I love carols, me! :wink:

My favourite is the Harold Darke setting of In the Bleak Mid-Winter, closely followed by Nat King Cole's rendition of the Christmas Song!
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

Coventry Carol or O Holy Night, even when Michelle from Pop Idol murdered it the other night.

I absolutely loath and detest Little Donkey. :x
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I didn't think Dyl mentioned 'carols' Chris - he was asking about our fav Christmas songs!! :?

Anyhow - my fav crimbo song is 'I Believe in Father Christmas' by Greg Lake - though I'm not 100% sure that's the correct title for the song. Very stirring indeed... :D
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Me too! I'm not a great fan of Mary's Boy Child, either! :evil:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of my favourites is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas", especialy the Kings Singers version.
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

Have yourself a merry little christmas is sweet...especially when song by a big, booming baritone (voice, not instrument).

and how can you not like mary's boy child?? It's got one of the best Christmas bass lines I've seen thus far. Santa Claus-trophobia beats it...
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Oo Oo Ooo! (said in Feebee-friend style...)

This is easy!
    Sings at the top of her voice... *cough*

"OOOOOoooo I wish it could be Christmas, everydaaaaaaaaay...."
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed okie. I got my Christmas songs mixed up. Mary's Boy Child I can tolerate. The one I meant to say was When a Child is Born. Talking of which, does anyone know the organ setting by Bach of In Dulci Jubilo? Quite near the end, a motif appears which mirrors the opening part of the tune of When a Child is Born. Coincidence? Or have I mislaid my allotment? :?
  11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I like the "O Holy Night" vocal solo, think it's really nice :oops:
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

Have you played the solo, Seedhouse?? It's very pretty. Until you have to play it 6 times in one hour for the darn recording guy.....
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

I like Cartman from South Park's version of that! 8)
  14. Okiedokie of Oz

so does my trombone section!
  15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

No I haven't played it, heard it, but not played it.
    I heard it on Pop Idol ( :oops: )- the vocal one, and thought it was really nice.
    Which episode has Cartman's version in?
  16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I like John Lennon's 'So this is Christmas' (War is Over) and confess to a soft spot for 'Stop the Cavalry', though not in its band arrangement.

OK, so neither of them are really about Christmas...

Bah humbug

17. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Funny how one persons's fav can be anothers most hated. I cannot stand the "So this is Christmas" (tedious tune, vapid lyrics) Hate "Oh, Holy Night" (too melodramatic) except the Cartman version which is funny.

Favorites are "In the Bleak Midwinter" (more the tune than the words) "Christmas Song" and "Christmas Time is Here." Giraldi.
  18. andyp

andyp Active Member

If you think that Cartman song's funny - try his rendition of "Kyle's mum's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world" in the South Park Movie. Class.

Especially the ending :) !
  19. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Used to be the startup sound on my PC! Still like Oh, Holy Night better (I think it's the juxtaposition of angelic song with Cartman crassness.)
  20. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Merry Christmas Everyone -- On full blast, after drinking a bottle of fanta twist and a band practise!! lol :wink: :lol: