Favourite Christmas CD

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by jonford, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I received an interesting, though certainly not favourite, Christmas CD this week. It’s a compilation of carols (the usual suspects + "Messiah" excerpts) played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The colourful arrangements (by Larry Dalton) have harmonizations much loved by many Americans. Many of the numbers feature brass and percussion and will appeal to lots of brass banders. Some will cringe at the over-the-top arrangements while I imagine the non-purists may get quite a buzz.

It’s titled Songs of Christmas on the American Integrity/Word/Epic label (1997)

2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Like several people have already said, I like 'a white christmas with grimethorpe'. It's incredibly corny, annoyingly addictive, but it's good fun and very easy to listen to.

3. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I just ordered the new christmas recording by the ISB 'Christmas Tidings' I cant wait to get that one! There is also a Christmas recording that I have from the band that I play in..it's really good and I have some live christmas concert stuff from the Canadian Staff Band and London Citadel Band. Brass music is great at Christmas time...It's great year round!

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I can understand why many people may find them corny but I find them an invaluable resource when trying to put together a decent programme for our Christmas concert. Of all the ones I've listened to over the past month or so the one which gets most airtime on the iPod is Grimeys 'White Christmas'.

5. Hoss

Hoss Member

Boston Brass and the Brass All-Stars Big Band

Recently got my hands on a new recording of the Stan Kenton Christmas Carols, fantastic orchestration with that unique Kenton sound.

Boston Brass joined by an elite bunch of some of the premier brass artists on the planet including Jens Lindeman, Jeff Nelson and a sole British participant, the daddy of the Bass Trombone Mr Mark Frost who adds his awesome talents to a wonderful recording. Quite simply jaw dropping playing at times !!

Deserves a home in anyone's library this one even if you dont like Christmas, fabulous arrangements and fabulous playing...

6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Now I'm gonna be a complete saddo!!

My favourite Christmas CD isn't a CD at all. Its one of those black vinyl circular things with a hole in the middle & concentric grooves!!! :tongue: It has a lovely picture of Father Christmas blowing a trumpet on the cover & its called........

:icon_biggrin: TIJUANA CHRISTMAS :icon_biggrin:
    & I love it

It reminds me of Christmas days at my parents, opening our pressies, before we used to shoot off to the local children's hospital to play carols with our old band. I love it so much that when my dad took my godfather's copy of the LP to the charity shop, my mum made him go & buy it back for me.

Ooooooh, I feel so festive just thinking about.

*retreats into padded cell*

7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I've got Tijuana Christmas too and I love it as well!

8. jim

jim Member

I would have to say the BAYV Cory wonder of christmas, the only one I own and because I played on it on the hottest day of the year!

9. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

This is the best :))))))[​IMG]