Favourite Christmas CD

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by jonford, Nov 26, 2004.

1. jonford

jonford Member

Don't know if this has been done before but what is everyones favourite brass christmas CD!?

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

May have mentioned some of these before but I have a number of favourites

Christmas with London Brass (Teldec - may well now be deleted)

Christmas Music from St Pauls: (Guild) St Paul's Cathedral Choir and the English Brass Ensemble

Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Archiv): Monteverdi Choir/English Baroque Soloists/Sir John Eliot Gardiner

And one that Peter Bale pointed me in the direction of earlier this year:

Essentially Christmas (Koch): East London Chorus/Locke Brass Consort/Michael Kibblewhite

And referring back to Christmas Oratorio, a DVD of the same performers on the TDK label (albeit with different vocal soloists) recorded in the Herderkirche, Weimar on 23rd and 27th December 1999.

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Jonny! hope you're well mate!

Anyway,

1. Christmas with London Brass
    2. German Brass - At the End of the Year

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

PJBE - Christmas Brass
    London Brass Christmas
    Simple Gifts - YBS
    White Christmas - Grimethorpe
    Christmas Variations - Black Dyke

Not sure if the PJBE recording was ever re-released on CD; if not it should be in my (not so) humble opinion :) I still have the vinyl album.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Simple Gifts- YBS

:) probably the only Christmas one I've heard actually, but hey! ;-)

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have only got one and that is

CHRISTMAS BRASS by BNFL BAND a few years old.:oops:
    I do not really buy Christmas CDS as i find most of the music on them all the same.:-(
    I mainly go for the general release BRASS BAND CDS during the year.:)

7. postie

postie Member

I definately concur with the Simple Gifts by YBS great stuff!!!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Have to endorse the Grimethorpe "White Christmas": plenty for the brass enthusiast but also suitable for the "general" listener - I sent it to my sister, who's not particularly fond of brass, and she really enjoyed it. Also, at about £5 full price, and sometimes found for less on market stalls etc, a tremendous bargain.

Also, the ISB "Christmas Festival in Brass": originally from 1974 but reissued on cd, with a variety of titles: wide range of arrangements, including Brian Bowen's "I saw three ships", and a high quality production.

Also like most of the Canadian Brass Christmas Album - 12 days of Christmas is great fun - although the choir is not the best (at least not to my English ears!)

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Good call Mr Bale!

This recording is great and recommend it to anyone if it's still available. The sounds produced are a little dated now but it#s real quality to playing ans testament to Bernard Adams leadership of the band. I am led to believe that Choral Music was his first love and that shows in teh carol playing. Loads of space but allows flows.....a really good listen.

10. ComposerAndy

ComposerAndy Member

Equally good as Gardiners Christmas Oratorio (excellent documentaries on the DVD) is the new one with Netherlands Bach Society that came out this summer.

I got a free CD with the Times a while back with carols played by BTM. Love it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Favourite Christmas CD
    everyones favourite brass christmas CD
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Ditto. Also I liked the recording that the ISB and the ISS released a few years ago called 'Joy To The World'. A lovely arrangement on there by Norman Bearcroft. Just what does he have against euphoniums? :shock: :shock:

13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Thanks for the mention -- I also played flugel on that recording. The CD reissue was on the Music for Pleasure label.

14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree with previous comments about Christmas Festival in Brass. The recording is full and bright; excellent sound considering advances in technology. I checked both WoB and Midland and neither site lists it. The CD was available on E-Bay not too long ago but I just checked and it's not there now; there is a vinyl copy currently available.

I Saw Three Ships was a highlight when I first bought the LP and remains so to this day. My pressing was not the best and I was really happy when I found it on CD a couple of years ago.

15. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I shall also say that this is an excellent CD, nice playing all round, with plenty of quality from the pen of RSA.
    I also think that the Fine Arts Brass CD (forgotten the title!) is very good too, with some excellent piccolo trumpet playing by Simon Lenton (who nearly burst my eardrums once in a gig!)

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The PJBE Christmas LP was originally entitled 'Noel' and a great recording too! Some of the tracks have been re-released on the Decca label on a CD entitled 'Christmas in the Morning: A celebration in brass; together with contributions from Canadian Brass and Michael Laird Brass Ensemble. (Available only via Internet - as it was a US release. Try here http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=55 ).

Other selected tracks from the Noel album were included on a CD re-release entitled In Dulci Jubilo, with the other tracks being compiled from a 1980 recording with the PJBE and the Bach Choir under Sir David Willcocks. Can be found here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...708/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_2_16/202-1960759-2656649

I should add that the Christmas In the Morning CD is the only one of the two mentioned to include (from the PJBE Noel album) what, in my humble opinion, I consider the best Christmas fanfare for brass I've ever heard, namely John Rutter's fanfare on O Come, All Ye Faithful.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My favourite Christmas CD is the last one that's taken out of the player over the Festive Season. It's not that I dislike Xmas music, it's just that it starts getting played in shops earlier each year and by the time Xmas comes, the music has lost all it's fun and relevance. Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Easter Eggs in this year's Boxing Day sales! :rolleyes:

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I bought 'Christmas is Coming' by the Harrogate Band last year and that is quite good as well :)

19. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Not traditional brass band, but for me it's the Christmas CD by the trombone group Spiritual to the 'Bone. Jazz with six bones . . . mmm . . .

20. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Now there's a quality CD!

21. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

18 Christmas Crackers

Camborne Town Band (2002)

Featuring :

Ding Dong Christmas, Christmas Joy, See Amid the Winter Snow,

Hark the Glad Sound, Schneewaltzer, Away in a Manger, Troika, Nativity, Three King's Swing, Angelic Hosts, O Holy Night,

Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells, A Christmas Festival,

Coventry Carol, Trepak, Sans Day Carol, In the Deep Mid-winter,

Overture from the Messiah
    Tis good cd

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Favourite Christmas CD
    everyones favourite brass christmas CD