Favourite Books of Unaccompanied Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2nd tenor, Oct 10, 2015.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Part of my practice at home includes the use of books of unaccompanied music. I find working at the tunes in them develops my skills and is more enjoyable than the exercises which are also part of my practice routine.

One of my favourite books is '50 + easy classical solos for trumpet' (by wise publications). Do other members have similar books that they find enjoyable and helpful and if so what are they?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Unaccompanied Music
    similar books
    use of books of unaccompanied music
    trumpet
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I used to use quite a selection of books from the easy beginners sort of stuff to quite reasonably difficult, however I found that recording my playing helped a great deal as I could then hear the faults when played back, so I could then address those area's.
    Yes I agree that they are fun and a lot more interesting than boring practice routines.
    In fact playing stuff for pure enjoyment can be just as helpful as the various routines. There will be the odd few bars of difficult stuff, so get them mastered and you may find then that what was a difficult and similar routine becomes easier too.

2nd tenor likes this.
  4. pbirch

pbirch Member

I like playing the Bach 'cello suites, they are a great challenge for low brass players in terms of phrasing and musicality.

2nd tenor likes this.
  5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Might be a bit too low for a Trombone but out of interest and for others how and where are they available please?

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Here

7. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Thank you for the link above into Doug Yeo's site.

The music looks great though the player needs (I believe) to be a bass clef reader and have a Bb plus F instrument. For those who are happier with printed music Larry Clark arranged six cello suites for trombone and the ABRSM seem to have something for Bass Trombone too - as seen on an online auction site.
    Edit. Clark has also done a version for trumpet - I guess it's OK for other three valve instruments and/or treble clef only readers.

The cello stuff looks rather 'challenging', but I guess that there's a great sense of achievement when you master it and pleasure from playing classical stuff.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. nethers

nethers Active Member

9. pbirch

pbirch Member

I have this one, edited by Ralph Sauer, but if bass clef reading is a problem, Ernest Piper wrote a collection of Bach preludes entitled "The Well Tempered Player" that is equally challenging in treble clef

10. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

There is a free version of the Suites 1-3 in TC here

11. alan rawlinson

alan rawlinson New Member

Apologies to all for butting in here....

I have just found the site after hunting around the Internet for the name of a slow march played every week at my nautical school inspections - way back in 1948! I have had a love of this brass band music ever since. I can still recall the notes, but the name escapes me. As the school and the bandmaster were RN related, it was likely a marine tune. Was the word 'hands' in the title. ? ( Not the March - Hands across the sea)

Hope someone has a clue here - many thanks. / Alan​

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Unaccompanied Music
    similar books
    use of books of unaccompanied music
    trumpet
  13. halfcent

halfcent New Member

Hi Alan
    Just a suggestion, because it is not a slow march, but you should check out "Nancy Lee". This was often played at RN divisions just before Heart of Oak. "Hand" is not in the title but is in the verse if you were ever singing along under your breath. The RM bands used "Early one morning" as a regimental slow march around 1948 so you could have heard it played regularly as well -but no connection with "hand".