Favourite Band Event

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lauradoll, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

To try to get away from all the negitivity in some of the other threads I thought we should concentrate on why we do it? Why spend the hours and weeks rehearsing? What is it we are trying to attract people to?

What is your favourite band event? Is it an annual concert you do? A contest you attend? What do you get out of banding and why do you enjoy it so much?

My favourite "event" has to the the annual "Carnegie Contest" held in Dunfermline in April. I love it as I always see loads of people I've not seen for years and always have a fab time. I usually end up playing too which is always a bonus. Roll on the 21st April!!

(Sorry about all the questions btw!!)

2. englishgill

englishgill Member

I love Whit Friday - I always see people I haven't seen in ages and just love the whole leaping on and off a bus and the 'oh god we're on next and I have a full pint' dilemma.

In fact i would definitely say that the Whits is my banding highlight of the year.

However, more sensibly, I also enjoy a concert we do for the local blind club - they are the most appreciative audience and its always a lovely concert.

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I would say Killamarsh's best events are the tours we arrange - I organised the first one to the Lake District for a week in 1980 - we then had them every year from about 1985 onwards, all in the UK - Lake District, Northumberland, Cotswolds, Norfolk, Cornwall.

Since 2000 though we have travelled further afield so we've been to Italy, Germany, Belgium, Holland and the Czech Republic. They are usually for a week and we arrange to play once a day.

As well as a majority of our own band going we always get friends along from other bands and these tours have built up some good associations with other bands in our area.

4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Believe it or not, my favourite banding event is Christmas Morning. There are normally only 5 or 6 of us but we go out for about 3 hours. Visit an old-folks home and some key town folk, then up "White Nancy" (Bollington's highest peak) to play carols to the masses. There were about 150 people on the top last year all drinking champagne etc. I also love Whit Friday - sometimes our band don't go out (like this year). I will be helping Marple Band again - had a great time with them last year!

5. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

My favourite event was Pershore Midsummer Brass. Everyone from the local youth band to several top section bands played an 40 min "light" programme in a marquee behind a pub, then a 40 min "not so light" programme in Pershore Abbey, as well as lots of other small/youth ensembles and suchlike in various other venues.

Great day, lots of beer if you wanted, and a good chance to mix with other bands when you weren't competing against them.

Shame it had to stop because they wanted to build behind the pub!

6. OneTonBass

OneTonBass Member

The French Open is a firm favourite.

Test Piece, An Entertainments programme, A March , and a Concert with an appreciative audience all in one day.

Followed by a few beers and some nice food of course

I also like the Spring Festival, as it has the contest on a Saturday and you can enjoy yourself after playing rather than rushing home.

At the end of the day nothing beats the buzz of being on stage and the whole band is playing well.

7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Definitely Whit Friday. Only done it once, but had such a great time!!!

Also, I quite enjoy the areas too. Well, usually until the result ;)

8. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Going back some time now but whilst at school, I used to love the Christmas tours around the local primaries, nursing homes and the like. Always conjures fond memories of a great time and also reminds me of a since departed local legend called Bob Castle who sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

I retain these thoughts and always enjoy Gresley's Annual Concert with the Rotary Club. Free admission, free mince pie and an audience of people who geniunely love the music played.

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Do you mean its a bonus to play, in addition to your usual standard drunkeness at this contest Laura?!! ;)

This is one of my favourite contests too, quite a good entertainment contest (altho only 15mins), mid-day draw for 3rd section, good bar, had a few good results here and usually around my birthday too! Always a good day out!

Altho am enjoying Whit Fridays as well, heading to my 3rd this year, "Tartan Brass" will be there again!!

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Probably the British Open for me, for a couple of different reasons...

I liked it when it was in Manchester because it was socially a closer event - Bands tend to spread out a fair bit more now around the Canal in Birmingham...

...but then in Birmingham you get to play in one of the most sensational Concert Halls in the World...

The last four bars of the Steadman Allen / Willcocks arrangement of the first Christmas concert you do with a good choir...

....it's just the noise that Bands make that makes them just a little bit special - and I liked being part of it.

Ooh, there are loads of good bits (just hope they counteract the bad bits ;) )

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Carnegie Contest
    years
    April
    favourite band event
    Dunfermline
  12. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Would definately have been Pershore Midsummer brass... until the organisers found a nice excuse to stop running it....

13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

For me it would be the free concerts. We do four of these a year in our home town and it's so rewarding to play to a hall packed with 250-300 people at our level (3rd section). I enjoy contests but the concerts come with a feeling of giving something back to the community. Mind you, our interval raffle has got rather long-winded since some of the audience starting bringing contributions to the raffle table :clap:

Andy

14. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Gotta be Pontins - is a laugh see and meet loads of new peope and just in general get drunk... oh and there is a contest sometime that weekend as well i believe haha! But it is a great atmosphere! Or summer fetes... they always make me feel summery!! lol!

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

OOO there are a couple for me - for different reasons:

Butlins - really well run contest, but the social side, coupled with the fact you get some real top class brass players as entertainment too makes it a must do as far as I'm concerned.

Whits - don't really need to say too much that hasn't been said already, but as a midlander more used to an apathetic response to bands, the support the band get in the various villages is fantastic, and surprises me every time I do this. Its just a great event to be part of.

Christmas Eve / Boxing Day - I've done Boxing Day carols with my band now for nearly 20 years and there is a special atmosphere. But the real tradition for me is the Chritmas Eve carol service we do outside in a shopping precinct in Blaby. They have a traditional carol service, which a group of Wigston's players accompany, and (I think) I've done every one. This now forms part of my family Christmas with my Mum coming along and getting tea from the chippy before we all go back to hers to eat, swapping pressies and giving best wishes to each other before the big day. Its not especially prestigious, but it really does signify Christmas for me, and I imagine even if I wasn't a member of Wigston I would still go along to play for it.

16. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Hardly a "nice excuse" - they were told that they couldn't have one of the major venues, and there isn't another one in the area which could cope with what was needed.

17. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Yes thats the official story...

The thing is, even the year after they stopped (and as far as I know, still now) there hasnt been that "car park" built there that they said would be built there.

The story that I heard (and believe), is that it was just a handy excuse.

There were plenty of other places in pershore that they could have used, but chose not to.

18. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

You can't blame the Midsummer Brass organising committee if the Angel Inn tell them one thing and do another.

And it's not as simple as just replacing one venue with another. Firstly, where in Pershore could you have it that's that close to the Abbey? Secondly, where could you re-create that atmosphere?! In other posts people have talked about the experience of playing in Symphony Hall at the Open, and having played there myself (though not at the Open!) it really is something. But what made Midsummer Brass the best was the atmosphere, and you couldn't get that in a concert hall no matter how good.

19. David Mann

David Mann Member

Whit Friday for many reasons: playing marches, "competing":redface: against Dyke, meeting people you only see at Whit Friday, beer, chips, Hollands pies, no registration, hundreds of people listening..... must sort out a band for this year!

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Has to be the Durham Miners Gala for me. Marching through Durham, playing at the County, seeing all he bands come in at the cricket ground and then off to the prison warders club for a good trollying

21. katej

katej Member

Maws Brass Band Festival for me. Its a fab weekend raising money for a good cause and its lovely to hear other bands youth etc playing in one place.
    This will be the 3rd year its ran and hopefully the weather will be as glorious as the last 2 years.
    Only problem is the parking.
    I also have to confess to enjoying the area contest.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Carnegie Contest
    years
    April
    favourite band event
    Dunfermline