Favorite Trombone Solo?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LukasAndersen, Nov 25, 2010.

1. LukasAndersen

LukasAndersen New Member

While being a cornet player myself I still absolutely adore the sound of a trombone when played by the right person! So what is your favorite trombone solo and why? I'll start...

The Old Rugged Cross. Simply because when played correctly it is has the most beautiful sound and melody! The version I have on my ipod is played by Brett Baker and really touches me with the sound of that trombone! ...over to you guys! :)
  2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Concertino for Band and Trombone by Leizden
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Jan Sandstrom's concerto called Don Quixote, although you have to a little bit more than just a trombone player to master it!

You'll see why in the clips provided in link ... http://www.tarrodi.se/cl/page.asp?show=29
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Dave Steinmeyer, playing 'Over the Rainbow' from the airmen of note album 'Somewhere out there.'

I've got a mate in a big band who's dying for a pop at this. Anyone know if they ever publish sheet music? Ran out of luck on the usual search engines etc....
  5. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Star Dust played by the late Don Lusher at a concert we did with him about 12 years ago
  6. euph77

euph77 Member

I was in a concert where Brett Baker played Autumn Leaves and he just made the trombone sing and so high, too! (and I'm sure he had no music as well!)
  7. CorelliClash

CorelliClash New Member

its got to be the acrobat for me :tongue:
  8. Zappa

Zappa Member

I was about to put that!! Lol :D
  9. Bandsman1

Bandsman1 Member

A real belter would have to be BOLIVAR, I have an Ian Bousfield performance, and its out of this world. :)
  10. CorelliClash

CorelliClash New Member

haha well you cant beat an old classic!
  11. Bones

Bones Member

Me like loads......
  12. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Heard "Dick Turpin’s Ride to York" played by Nick Hudson a few years back. That was something special.
    Never could get all those notes myself though :)
  13. baridis

baridis Member

I always liked Dance Sequence for tenor trom and Proclamation for bass trom. There was also another tenor one called Concertino (not the one mentioned above), I played it for my 2nd year recital at uni years ago - I just wish I could remember the damned composer! :D
  14. still learnin

still learnin Member

Not heard Brett play it but it's a beautiful solo, very relaxing to listen to.
  15. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

Not a band piece, but Jorgensen's Romance for Trombone and Piano - really beautiful.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I find it hard to settle on one, but amongst my favourites are Ray Steadman-Allen's "Eternal Quest" (stunning performance by Sydney Congress Hall's Ron Prussing springs to mind) and Paul Lovatt-Cooper's "Earth's Fury" (Brett Baker at Symphony Hall).
  17. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Do you know who the arrangement was by?

Personally, I much prefer slower melodies for trombone solos. I don't much see the point in flying around the instrument because there is no music there. It's like the pillocks who just do sweeps on guitars. You get bored after a little bit of it.

Case in point: Dragonforce.
  18. David Mann

David Mann Member

So many to choose from; Concert Piece, Langford's Rhapsody, Bolivar.. but if I could only listen to one more it would be "The Word of Grace" by Norman Bearcroft. Simple, beautiful, difficult for both band and soloist.
  19. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

My favourite is a performance, rather than a choice of solo. I think it was around 1959 when Dudley Citadel SA Band shared a special concert with three other SA bands. The venue was Birmingham Town Hall, and the guest soloist was Maisie Wiggins (Ringham).

Maisie played "The Priceless Gift", a simple yet alluring melody. The first note of that solo was, in the words of Dean Goffin, the most perfectly formed note he had ever heard. I had never previously experienced trombone playing of that calibre. It is a performance I shall never forget.
  20. Proclamation is a great piece.... but i suppose i will be playing Frosty the Snowman again and again as its Christmas time.......