Favorite piece??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Norwegianbaritone, Feb 4, 2006.

1. What's your favorite pieces???

Need some good examples...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Overture
    London
    Tallis
    Theme for Heartbeat
    Heartbeat
  3. 1alexm

1alexm Member

Jaspers Dance from pineapple poll

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

All time favourite.... Music of the Spheres

5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

ZULU!! :D:D closely followed by Do-re-mi, Mack and Mabel and of course the one and only Slaidburn!!

6. 1alexm

1alexm Member

is this the way to amerillo seems to be a good crowd pleaser, everyone at my junior band think kalinka and james bond collection are ace, a few of my favorites are:
    no matter what
    lustspiel
    journey into freedom
    pineapple poll
    playmates
    the nightingale

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmm! Difficult one to call ... but I never tire of listening to Energy (Robert Simpson).

8. From Tony Christie for brass band to Eric Ball , fantastic ;)

9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Harmony Music, Harrison's Dream, Fantasy for Brass Band, Essence of Time, Spectrum..........to mention only a few, my list is endless and can never settle on one particular favourite at any one time!!

10. robcav

robcav Member

Wow! How long is a piece of string? Well, for sheer brilliance in the evocation of an idea, a musical portrait of an event, it would have to be Blitz. For demonstrating the dazzling finger waggling brilliance of the genre, it's a close run contest between Harmony Music, Year of the Dragon and my winner, albeit by a nose, The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. For an emotive and beautiful musical line it would have to be the second movement of Peter Graham's Montage and, of all pieces, because I never tire of listening to this one, Montage is my favourite. As for any other type of music - Mahler 5, 8 and 9 blow me away.

happy listening
    Rob

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

Harmony Music, Tristan Encounters, Essence of Time, Whitson Wakes, Terra Australis I could listen to again, Triptych, Music for a Festival, Haslemere Suite!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Overture
    London
    Tallis
    Theme for Heartbeat
    Heartbeat
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Cloudcatcher Fells, Year of the Dragon, Mahler 3rd Symphony, Sibelius 7th Symphony, Daphnis & Chloe, Vaughan Williams 5th Symphony, Turangalila (Messiaen), Paganini Variations & New Jerusalem (Wilby), Contest Music, Symphonie Fantastique, anything by Gabrieli, Monteverdi's Vespers.....

I'm sure I'll come back to this:D

14. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

It would have to be

1 Spectrum
    2 Prague
    3 Pines of Rome
    4 Haslemere Suite
    6 Journey into Freedom
    7 Blitz
    8 Satchmo (Solo)
    9 Viscaya
    10 Any Solo Played by me

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Contest Music.

16. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Caravan
    Miller's Dance
    Mack and Mabel

In terms of test pieces, Divertimento by Bryan Kelly

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Liszt: "Les Preludes" - Bram Gay's arrangement that is. I can't listen to it as an orchestral piece any more. Purists will say it's only an arrangement, and that's one very valid point of view. But it takes a lot to transcribe something and make it (in my humble opinion) better than it was before. (Braces self for barrage of criticism!) ;)

Failing that, Grandfather's clock, Punchinello, Aberystwyth, Coventry Variations, Graduation Day, Sing Sing Sing, and that version of Danny Boy from Brassed off.

But Les Preludes wins it for me.

18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If I'm listening to serious brass band music, I tend to go for music which has some interest to it, as opposed to 'workaday' test pieces written by composers whose rent is due. Here's my favourites in no particular order:

Partita (Heaton) - fantastic stuff, the closest we'll get to a proper symphony.
    Trombone Concerto (Heaton)
    Concerto Grosso (Bourgeois)
    Harmony Music (Sparke)
    Three Figures (Howells)
    Moorside Suite (Holst)
    An Epic Symphony (Fletcher)
    Checkmate (Bliss/Ball)

19. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Procession to the Minster
    Reunion & Finale
    Pines of Rome
    Flowerdale
    Resurgam

That's a few of my favourites, ones that make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!

20. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Tristan Encounters
    Procession to the Minster

21. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

"that version of Danny Boy" is, to me, the definitive instrumental arrangement. "An Irish Tune from County Derry" is an arrangement by the eccentric and brilliant composer/arranger/folk song collector Percy Grainger. The brass band arrangement in the film "Brassed Off" is a transcritption of Percy Grainger's arrangement for Military Band. I think that Percy also scored it for string orchestra, and knowing him, there may even be a version for Harmonium Ensemble!

22. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

He certainly did and can be heard as the signature tune for BBC Radio's very long-running "Your Hundred Best Tunes".