Favorite piece of music of all time

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 007superfan, Jun 22, 2003.

1. 007superfan

007superfan New Member

What is your favorite piece of music of all time, my was an old test piece a long time ago called TINTAGEL does anyone remember playing that. let me know your favorite piece ever. :p

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece
    music
    anyone
    piece
    :P
  3. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Mine is Leonard Bernstein's Candide Overture - wonderful music. A close second is the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony.

Rach x

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Depends what mood I'm in, but when I'm feeling reflective it would have to be Wilfred Heaton's "My Treasure".

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

Without question, and nothing to do with Brass Bands, but it's Gustav Mahler's 2nd Symphony - Resurrection.

6. hornblower

hornblower Member

Mine is an aria from "the marriage of figaro" "Che Soave Zeffiretto"

7. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Favourite Brass band piece - Resurgam

Favourite piece of all time - Scheherezade

Favourite TV theme tune - Littlest Hobo :oops:

8. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Don't know if these are my favourite but they are both fantastic pieces, you obviously have good taste :wink:

9. PeterBale

Very hard to choose when it comes to classical music, but would include:

Stravinsky Octet, Walton 1st Symphony, Schoenberg Gurrelieder, Bruckner Em Mass

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Gurrelider????

11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

well I think there's already a favourite test piece thread, so my favourite piece that isn't a 'test' as such is pines of rome.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece
    music
    anyone
    piece
    :P
  13. PeterBale

Gurrelieder - lit songs (lieder) of Gurre; massive orchestra but treated in chamber-music style at times, including one bar where he cuts down to just two bass clarinets (horror of horrors!)

14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I have played gurrelieder so know what its like. I was just wondering how this could in be in someones favourites :shock: .

I suppose this is what keeps music interesting - if we all liked the same music it would be terribly dull :)

15. PeterBale

I suppose I am a sucker for the big orchestral sound - Turrangilila Symphony, Gothic Symphony, Bruckner, Hovhaness - they all suit me down to the ground, but I know they can be an acquired taste!

16. bladder

bladder Member

I'll go wiv them, fantastic stuff, esp. Adagio, mv. 3, Rach 2. Wouldn't call 'em absolute favourite, though. Are we playing our favourite piece of music or listening?? I know for me personally there's a definite difference. For example, there's a difference between playing something like say the 'Imperial March' (JW), and having to listen to someone else enjoying the honk! As for listening, what a bit of Walton, Spitfire or Crown Imperial, Tchaik 4., Rach. 2, Holst 'Planets' (Mars + Jupiter), Bernstein 'West Side Story'? The list is endless. (I know there all orchestral/symphonic)

17. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

This is a really hard question to answer, I've been thinking about it all morning.

Favourite piece to listen to is Ave Maria
    Favourite piece to play is Born Free (how sad)!

18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Now Turrangilila & Bruckner I can go along with . .

19. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

I guess you must be a horn player, Kari :!:

Favourite band arrangement has got to be the slow movement of the West Side Story suite....arranged by E Crees, if my memory serves me correct. Black Dyke played it at one of the first brass band concerts I ever went to. I was absolutely spellbound!

I'll go along with Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony for one of my favourite orchestral works, preferably played by a russian orchestra conducted by Mariss Jansons :) I have to admit to being slightly put off the second movement after it was arranged for cornet solo and band. IMHO, things like that with so much emphasis on the full string sound are better left alone. The main theme from Schindler's List is another case in point.

20. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Rachmaninovs piano concerto 2nd movement as this is what was playing when my husband proposed to me many years ago and I realy like Summon the Dragon.

21. blondie

blondie Member

I will treat this as the piece I listen to the most and the best to play.

Listen - Paganini Variations (Wilby)
    Play - La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie - Rossini)

22. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Beethoven's late Quartets, Webern's Cantatas, Magic Flute, Tapiola, Symphony of Psalms, The Mask of Orpheus, Berg's Violin Concerto, Mahler 3...

Sorry, I can't choose between them.

D