Father's Day is on its way!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by suddenly seymour, May 20, 2006.

1. suddenly seymour

suddenly seymour New Member

I am SOOOO excited at the moment that I just had to tell the whole WORLD!!!

I am going to be a DAD!!!!!:D

I can't believe how lucky I am! But also very scared:-? !
    Any advice on how to look after a kid would be gratefully received!!! (The Mrs thinks I may be the responsible type :-? !)
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

As a dad of 2 of - one of each type - all I can say is that you will really enjoy it. It's my r'aison d'etre and there's nothing like (1) being told... "Daddy... I love you!!" or (2) being beaten up by a 15 yr old or (3) being absolutely smashed at golf by same said 15 yr old (4) watching your (then 4yrs old, now 8yrs old) daughter become the youngest person in the UK to get an adult graded yellow belt in Taekwon-Do... the list goes on and on...

Congratulations... you will love it.
  3. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Hey, Congratulations Seymour :D

I don't have any kids of my own.....yet!!

My bro has just had his first though and "the kreacher" is adorable :)

Having just done my obs and gynae rotation at uni my only advice would be get prepared for the birth...let alone what's coming after it....so many men there seemed suprised that the babies don't come out all clean and smiley like on TV ;)
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Congrats! :)

James and I have recently become parents...
    Looking after 'a kid' comes naturally- as scarey as it all is to start off with - it changes your whole life... and I'll echo what TMM says... you *will* love it!

We're looking forward to the first word, first steps etc... seeing the first smile was magic!

Enjoy the pregnancy and especially the scan pics as well... and do as much research as possible on life after the pregnancy; it helped us a great deal...
    We have a fab scan pic of the front of our daughters face at about 33 weeks... totally amazing.... and hearing the heartbeat for the first time is cool!

Lots to get excited about for both of you - ....
    I wish you all the best :biggrin:

5. julestools

julestools Active Member

Build a shed. I did. You will need somewhere to escape to as time goes on ;)

You will loose access to the telly (play station takes over that)
    You will not get on the computer (daughter on msn)
    You will need another bathroom
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

The fact that you used these three words, excited, lucky, scared, makes me think you will be a great dad. Having a baby can be the most wonderous thing for any person. But to also accept that you are very scared is great. Babies are very different, each with their own individual personality. There is not one set of rules on how to raise a child. As long as there is love, support, encouragement and guidance, raising a child can be fantastic. Just make sure that in the early years there are some boundaries, children need stability and having boundaries along with lots of love and support, should ensure that your child grows up into a lovely, respectful young person. (With all the usual childhood issues, of course ;) )
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Congragulations. :clap:

Enjoy and savour every moment. They grow up soooo fast! :eek:
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

ha ha!! Well done!! As a father of *counts fingers* 4!!!! :-? I have to say you'll love it.

Every day is a new adventure, everything they learn to do fills you with pride.

And when they come to sit on your knee because you make them feel safe or comfortable it's the most rewarding moment in you life. Savour it, the fantastic days far out weigh the infuriating ones.
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Couldn't agree more Crawf... couldn't agree more.
  10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

congrats mate.
    its an absolutely fantatsic experience.

yes they do have there off days ( and when abigail does she does!!!:mad:)

but the rest of the time is amazing. as 2md said its a great feeling when they come to you for protection (Dr who tonight!)
    and when they do somethng special its amazing we celebrated abiigail passing her first music grade last week proud moment indeed. There are many more to go along with it.

just enjoy the experience my friend.:clap:

11. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

:D yayness!!! congratumalations seymour... thats awesome news!!!
    about to be a mummy, so will be scouring this thread for good parenting advice also!!!
    enjoy the pregnancy, and be supportive, its scary for the mrs as well!!!!!!
    and dont pass out in the delivery room...
  12. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Congrats Huni!!!!

Your going to enjoy every minute of it!!!! Sarahs walking and talking now and it only seems like yesterday she was born!!. My advice to you stock up on baby wipes before the birth i cannot live without them, spess when im going out and she sick down me just before i walk out the door!!!
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm presuming you two don't know each other then! . . Phew! . . I thought for a minute . . .

Congratulations to you both. :clap:

My advice - is simply to enjoy the early years to the full. They really do grow up too quickly.

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Wel come to the madness that is parenthood. Have no pre-conceptions (ha ha, did you see what I did there?), and accept him/her as a new person.
    All you have to do is love them really. They will drive you insane, make you cry, render you incapable of coherent thought but I promise you, that little person will snuggle its way right round your heart-strings in a way no other person ever can or will.
    My baby is 5 now, but I still go and gaze at her when she's asleep and I fully intend to keep doing it when she comes home from university. Although I may have to gaze at someone else as well by then...
  15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Oh yea.... another piece of advise...

Do *not* under any circumstances think that pampers nappies are good.... cos they're not... they leak and you'll find poo all up babies back and all over clothes every now and again, which is very annoying....

Tescos own are great though!

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Oh yeah? You think poo gets everywhere now, you wait til you have a baby that shuffles about on her bottom rather than crawling. Ain't no nappy in the world can deal with that I tell ya...:frown:
    Although at least the projectile pooing stage is usually over by then.
  17. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

ummm.. seymour.... you getting as scared by this as i am?!
  18. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Congrats to all the soon to be parents posting in this thread.

Just to remind them that once the kids hit about 7 or 8 they can usually pick up a brass instrument and play a few notes, just in case they should want to follow that particular musical tradition....
  19. Andybassbone

Andybassbone Member

My only bit of advice is - do what YOU feel right, not what the books say, or what the patronising health visitors say you should be doing (Apologies to any nice ones out there - i just havn't met any yet....)

I disagree on the pampers - they work for boys, but huggies seem better on girls. Cheap ones are not good!!!!

Congrats - you will get through those first few weeks of hell....:)
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, we never had any problem with pampers with any of our boys or girls. Huggies however, if you'll pardon the pun, we found, are pants.