Fast finger passages

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tim, Mar 8, 2004.

1. tim

tim Member

Just recently ive been getting a tightness in the back of my hand while im playing fast runs and its reli getting on my nerves im constantly building up passages from crotchet 60 trying to get the up and every day i have to go right back to where i begban :(

the tightness in the hand is paticularly worrying!!! Has any 1 got n e thoughts??? Thanx everyone
  2. Despot

Despot Member

Sounds like it could be the start of a Repetitive Strain Injury. Take it easy for a bit and go see a doctor. Don't continue if it hurts or you could do long term damage!
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hi Tim,
    It could be the start of RSI, but hopefully its just a muscle fatigue thing and there's different ways you can build the strength in your hand. Take it easy though, just in case!
    There's been a thread on this before - have a look at
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Take up the trombone!!!!!!!!
  5. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I wouldn't jump in straight away and say it's RSI (people these days are too quick to throw three letter acronyms at any problems they have), although I'm not saying it's definately not that. The muscles in your hand are like any other, and if you are practising away at a certain passage of semi's over and over, it's probably just a build up of lactic acid. More likely on euph/tuba with larger valves were using the whole hand for movement rather than just the fingers. Let your hand have a break and do some none technical stuff for a bit. If you are having major problems/pain still then consult someone.
  6. tim

tim Member

thanks a lot every1... im hopin it aint to bad but im goin to the doctor tommorow...

has anyone here had RSI before??? and have they got any advice???
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

my advice would be to rest.... dont over do it...

I was dianosed with RSI a few years ago, until they misdiagnosed me when my symptoms spread, but I won't scare you with all that!
    I'm sure theres a simple explanation- go and see your gp... they'll prolly point out the obvious... just take some painkillers for any pain, and take it easy... :)
  8. tim

tim Member

It's not gonna be to easy to rest wot with our area bein a week on sun :S lol... next couple of days i won't b playin n im seeing the GP tomomorow