Fantasy for Euph by Philip Sparke

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bex_Euph, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

Hiya, I'm planning on playing this as part of my end of year recital and I have to write some programme notes on it as part of my assessment does anybody have any info on it?
    It would be much appreciated
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... only that I have a recoding (LP) of Leyland playing it on their album "The Music of philip Sparke". You might find some useful notes on that sleeve... I will have a dig around for you but my LP's are packed away in the garage somewhere...

Does anyone have this on CD...?
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It Was written for Ian Craddock , the solo Euph of the Yorkshire Imperial Band in 1979 I think . Brilliant Piece ( the Brian Crookes - 1984 Leyland recording for Triton is amazing )
    check Philip Sparkes website or ask the man himself for more information .
    I have a few recordings of this , the last one I picked up in 2002 in Atlantic City( from a former trombonist and Euph player with the Philidelphia Orchestra Tyrone Breuleger ) .
    Good Luck with it tho :)
  4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It was indeed written for Ian Craddock when he was with Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band. They had just won the Nationals (1978, Checkmate) and were to record an LP (called Checkmate) This solo was written for the recording. The conductor was Dennis Carr

Hope that helps! I don't know any more about it!!:oops:
  5. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

Thanx a lot for the help,
    ive just got to get practicing it now I think that its a wicked piece! :)
  6. treblif

treblif New Member

Surely you should loose marks for not doing your own work.

Students these days get on the computer and type what they want and nick the information.

In my day I would have camped outside the composers house untill he came out to ask him about it.

P.S Best wishes for your assessment hope it goes well.
  7. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

How is it cheating to get some background info on the piece im performing? Surley I will perform better if i undertsand the composers intentions?

Im not cheating I am simply trying to get some imput as to what the piece was intended for. I think that it is very nieve of u to put those comments.

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

So you would only play pieces by living male composers? ;)
  9. JR

JR Member

Bex/Becca - bring it to band next week - we'll run it through - it's one of my favourite Sparke pieces
    I saw Ian Craddock play it with Yorks Imps in a programme that included Robert Simpsons's Volcano with Jim Scott conducting back in 1979 I think. The aforementioned recording with Denis Carr conducting is excellent.
    The slow movt reminds me of the Interlude from Year of the Dragon which was written about 5 years later - great stuff!

good luck

john r
  10. i could ask Ian Craddock if he has any notes/tips for u if u want coz he conducts my band ill next see him on wed night, tel me what info u would like and ill try find out.
  11. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it's hard - there's some notes for you!!

Anyway its not cheating, its called research.
  12. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

Thanx rick any info u could find out from him would be helpful. Add me to msn or PM me if u want.