Fantasy Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JSmith, Nov 21, 2005.

1. JSmith

JSmith Member

If you could hand-pick players for a brass band, who would you have??
    Let's allow any brass players - Banding, Orchestra, Jazz, etc etc. (alive or otherwise...). Probably best if we avoid lots of "my mate so-and-so who's a great player".

Here's mine. Yeah, I got a lot of Orchestral guys in there but I just like the way these guys play. If you don't know any of them, Google the names - they're all great!

Sop. Jens Lindemann

Principal - Wynton Marsalis
    2nd man - Hakan Hardenberger
    3rd man - Ryan Anthony
    4th man - Matthias Hofs

Rep. - Adolf Herseth

2nds - Phil Smith
    - Alison Balsom
    3rds - Ole Edvard Antonsen
    - Sergei Nakariakov

Flugel - Maurice Murphy

Solo Horn - Dennis Brain (or Sandy Smith if you MUST have a tenor-horn!)
    1st - Radovan Vlatcovic (or Sheona White)
    2nd - Barry Tuckwell (or Owen Farr)

1st Baritone - Margie Antrobus
    2nd - Pete Christian

Solo Trom - Joe Alessi
    2nd - Christian Lindberg
    Bass - Charlie Vernon

Solo Euph - Dave Thornton
    2nd - Geoff Whitham

Eb Bass - John Fletcher
    2nd - Pat Sheridan

Bb Bass - Warren Deck
    2nd - Nat McIntosh

I'm not qualified to choose percussion...

Discuss.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    Banding
    players
    Hakan Hardenberger3rd
    Orchestra
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

There are some great choices in your lineup (speaking as someone who has recordings by every player from sop down to flugel:biggrin: and has seen many of them live), but I'm not sure I agree with some of the placings.

Matthias Hofs would be an incredible sop player - his piccolo trumpet playing is about the most sublime you can obtain. Jens is a monster player, but I would probably put him on Bb, possibly as 2nd man, below Philip Smith - there is an orchestral guy who can really play a cornet properly (hearing him do Napoli is something you need to experience).

It would certainly be an interesting band - whether it would be able to compete with groups such as Dyke etc, I don't know - the problem with every one of these "all star" bands is that you end up with a bunch of principal players and soloists. With a regular band you have the chance to have the best players on each seat - what makes a great 2nd cornet player are not necessarily the same attributes someone would look for in the principal trumpet of a major orchestra, for example, or even for a front row player.

I have tried to come up with a list myself, but I have encountered a problem - too many people I want to include. I have a few that I know won't be in the cornet section (names withheld), but trying to put the chosen many into some sort of order is almost impossible - maybe I will sort them out one day - does anyone fancy paying me to audition them all?

4. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

could you not get anybody good?

5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Is anyone!?!?