Fantasy Brass Band Composer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by floppymute, Feb 4, 2009.

1. floppymute

floppymute Member

I attended the Michel Legrand concert at the Bridgewater Hall last night. The man simply oozes musicianship and his compositions show tremendous melodic and rhythmic variety.

Bearing in mind that he's composed in various styles, pop, jazz and classical, it set me wondering what we might have ended up with if he had ever written an original work for brass band.

That then got me asking the question, "Who else would I have liked to see writing for brass band and what would the music have been like?" Not necessarily test pieces by the way.

Three other Oscar-winning names from the film genre immediately spring to mind :

John Williams

John Barry

Erich Korngold (1940's writer of such temes as Errol Flynn's 'Sea Hawk')

Any other suggestions anyone?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Michel Legrand
    John Barry Erich Korngold
    Bridgewater Hall
    brass band
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven - any of the truly great composers.

One of the most disappointing aspects of playing any brass instrument is the lack of music available to us (in its original form, not transcriptions) by the great composers. I listen to the Bach 'cello suites, or Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (not to mention the vast number of incredible violin concertos) and am always jealous of these instrumentalists for the amazing music they get to play.

4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Ennio Morricone and Hans Zimmer

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'd have loved someone like John Cage or Schoenberg to write for Brass Band. It probably would have upset the odd person here or there though.

edit : Oooo or Philip Glass

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Tony Banks

7. floppymute

floppymute Member

Just thought of another one -

Gerald Finzi - master of schmaltz! He could have seriously given Eric Ball a run for his money (before anyone gets offended I don't necessarily mean in the schmaltz stakes!)

8. floppymute

floppymute Member

Do you mean the Labour politician?

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I would assume he means this Tony (Genesis keyboardist) not that Tony (the late Minister for Sport) :D

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I always thought it was a crying shame that Walton and Britten didn't write substantial original works for brass band. Also Bruckner would have been good, there was amn who understood effective use of brass instruments.

11. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Britten never wrote any substantial work for brass (brass ensemble that is) because he said he 'couldn't hear the sounds in his head' - or that at least is the answer Philip Jones says he received when he asked for a piece for PJBE. So it's unlikely he would have written for band, even if he had been asked.

And that's the point really. If you don't ask, you don't get! Nicholas Childs has recently asked James MacMillan for a substantial work, and Mr M has agreed. That's the good news. The bad news is that it won't be along until about 2012!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Michel Legrand
    John Barry Erich Korngold
    Bridgewater Hall
    brass band
  13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

D'oh beaten to it!!!!!!!!

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Dmitri Shostakovich - could have had some amazing works prior to his death in 1975 if he'd had the opportunity...

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

You beat me - I was going to suggest him! I love his Clarinet stuff - played some of his pieces for Grades 5, 6 and 8 - the Fughetta in 5 Bagatelles was probably the most enjoyable as it was quite a challenge.

Not quite sure about the Finzi/Ball suggestion tho, as I have to say I am not a fan of ol' Eric .... much to my other half's disgust ;)