Fantastic Journalism!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bryan_sop, May 2, 2007.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

What a fantastic bit of journalism. This is what is in todays Cambridge evening news.....they mention 3 instruments, none of which would be tollerated in a brass band! Someone really did their research didn't they!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge
    QUOTE=Cambridge Evening News
    All England Masters Brass Band Festival
    US
    European
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

Oh Dear :rolleyes:

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Classic! :biggrin:

Or maybe someone isn't telling us something, and the Masters has been taken over by some nasty wooden things??? :eek:

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

No, they didn't seem to mention the relly nasty wooden things - (the ones held together with string)

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

"Philip Biggs, joint organiser and Impington resident. said: "It is a wonderful opportunity for all local band enthusiasts to witness the finest brass and playing in the world."

This is the classic local paper story - WW3 starts - local man involved!

7. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Just spluttered into my post band orange juice on reading this in the Evening News :mad: (moral: never trust anything you read in a newspaper :frown: )

Hopefully Phillip Biggs will get it put right but the ignorance of (some) journalists is amazing.

8. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

:eek: That's almost as bad as saying

'percussionists to take part in musicians competition.....':wink:

only kidding!!percussionists are the icing on the cake and can add the juicy details that no one else can!!!being sincere here!!!

9. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I love local newspapers - some fantastic journalism! Always a good laugh!

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Haha! That's so bad it's funny!

Trumpets, french horns and saxophones would've been too accurate!!

11. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Reminds me of the 'What's On' guide at Stevenage - where the Areas was advertised, with a picture of a saxophone next to it!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge
    QUOTE=Cambridge Evening News
    All England Masters Brass Band Festival
    US
    European
  13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I think Philip Biggs should get an urgent message out to the composer and all the bands notifying them of the change in instrumentation to prevent any surprises or problems on the day. We wouldn't want to embarrass the local press now would we?

14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Glad to see the local press haven't changed any! :clap:

I was described in an article as playing a clarinet feature once in a concert(am sure it was a cornet! and it wasn't so bad it sounded like a clarinet either).

Also my band were once described as "the rousing sound of the bagpipes"! Again we weren't so bad as to be indistinguishable from the pipe bands (having only 2 drummers and not wearing a glut of tartan should have been enough of a clue) although there were 5 pipe bands and only us as brass, so maybe they were restricted in the number of words in the article and lumped us together???

Numpties!!!:-?

15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well obviously no-one said anything to the newspaper because it's on-line now!

We were talking about this at our concert on Tuesday night and one of our cornet players was saying, when he and his wife (also a band member) got married, they told the newspaper that they played cornet and Flugel for the band. Whoever wrote the article must have thought a Flugel was some sort of Piano and announced that they played Cornet and Grand Piano?! :confused:

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I may be wrong, but I think that the German's call a grand piano a Flugel because its shape is similar to a bird's wing.

Talking to Philip over the weekend, I'm sure he said he had spoken to the press about the errors, but that's no guarantee they would do anything about it! Still, they say that no publicity is bad publicity, and at least the venue and date was correct!

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ha if it was in the local paper at my mum and dad's, it would have been in three weeks after the event!

18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It certainly is in Dutch (a "vleugel piano"), so probably in german as well.

19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well they've printed it again without the Oboe, Trumpet and Clarinet references today. Still not completely right though, it's not the first time it's been international :rolleyes: