Fanfare for the Royal Hall - Harrogate

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Straightmute, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sunday 25th March, 7.30 p.m.
    Harrogate International Centre
    Box Office: 0845 130 8840

The bands of Harrogate will present a concert this Sunday to raise money for the restoration of the town's famous Royal Hall - one of the finest concert halls in the north of England. The hall is due to re-open early in 2008 following a total renovation which will cost over 8 million pounds, and which will provide a fantastic concert (and contest?) venue for local groups and visiting performers.

Bands taking part in this concert are:
    • Harrogate Area Youth Band
    • Knaresborough Silver Band
    • White Rose Concert Band
    • Tewit Youth Band
    • The Harrogate Band
    Each group will present a short programme of music with the emphasis very much on entertainment, and there will be a very wide variety of styles on offer. Please support the concert if you can - all money raised will be used to name a seat in honour of Leighton Rich (the founder of Tewit Youth Band) who died last year, and to complete a new bar area - a cause well worth supporting!

I hope that you are able to join us for what promises to be a fantastic evening of music making!

David

PS - this concert will take place in the hall where the National Finals will be held in September - if you would like to hear a range of bands playing in this distinctive acoustic you may have further reason to join us for the evening!!! :cool:

2. JR

JR Member

sounds really good David - given that the Royal hall re-opens in 2008 could we start a campaign to have the finals relocated there for September next year?
    There doesnt seem to be any great urgency on the part of the organisers to improve the terribly dry acoustic at the conference centre - maybe it's not possible.
    I like Harrogate itself - it's just the hall - it's so damned hard to play in!

John R

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Yes, it's hard to play there because it's so hard to hear each other on stage, although the audience (and the adjudicators!) get a good impression and can hear detail that might be lost in other halls. I think the Royal Hall would make an excellent contest venue in many respects, and there would be no shortage of rehearsal or exhibition space. I'm not sure yet how the cafe/bar facilities will turn out in the refurbished hall but in the town centre I personally don't see that as a huge problem.

The concert was great (if a little long!) and drew a sizeable audience who seemed to appreciate the variety of music on offer. It was good to see band members listening to (and enjoying!) the other bands' performances, and a good opportunity for youth and senior bands to share a platform together.

David