Fanfare & Flourishes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andywooler, Sep 14, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

We have a set of Fanfare & Flourishes by James Curnow - it is a concert band set with additional parts for brass band - however, none of the additional parts cover some important areas of the score - like the tune is completely missing in places!
    Can anyone who has a similar set (concert band plus extras) confirm if they had the same problem?
    (maybe we have an early set and it was corrected later?)

cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    James Curnow
    set of Fanfare
    additional parts
    brass band
    similar set
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Andy,

I feel what you have is a concert band set which includes treble clef brass parts, not actual brass band parts. Brass players in concert bands in some European countries only read treble clef.

The brass band version is a totally different edition.

Does that make sense?

4. andywooler

Thanks Philip, it does indeed make sense. I would assume that when first published the brass version wasn't available ?

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We have a full "brass band" set. Great piece, wish I could play it. :)

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

This was first composed for brass band (1991 European Gala Concert in Rotterdam) and the wind band was done quite a few years later, so far as I remember.

The reason for adding treble clef parts to the concert band version is not to allow brass bands to play it, but because many Dutch and Swiss brass players read TC - maybe because they started life in brass or fanfare bands. They even have some Horn players who play F Horn but read Eb Horn parts :confused:

I supply a full set of TC brass parts for all my concert band works, but they will rarely be the same as the brass band parts.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. andywooler

Interesting - I guess we bought the wrong one then!

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Always happy to sell you the right one if you like! :biggrin: PM me if interested..... :cool: