Fancy that!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian Bowen, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

According to the Top 20 Core Classical CD chart (provided by The Official UK Charts Company) that appears in the December issue of BBC Music magazine, top of the list is

1. Grimethorpe Colliery Band: The Very Best Of (BMG)

I don't know how this qualifies for "core classical", but also on the list are:

2. Ludovico Einaudi: Una Mattina (Decca)
    3. Mario Lanza: The Definitive Collection (BMG)
    4. Craig Armstrong: Piano Works (Sanctuary)
    5. Bax: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1 & 2 (Naxos)
    6. Pärt: Berliner Messe (Naxos)
    7. Elgar: Sacred Choral Music (Naxos)
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's neat stuff...

I got me thinking...has a brass band song ever been in the running for Christmas #1?
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Pfffft... who cares!! GO GRIMEY!!! :lol: :lol:
  4. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Excellent News. Even better, personally, when they beat that annoying git Einaudi.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Rather ironic, though, that it should be a rehash compilation rather than a new recording that tops the poll.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Have you seen what's on it?

1. Rossini - William Tell Overture
    2. Rodrigo - En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor
    3. Delibes - Flower Duet
    4. E. Bernstein - The Great Escape
    5. Elgar - Nimrod
    6. Sullivan - The Lost Chord
    7. Barry - James Bond Medley
    8. Coates - By The Sleepy Lagoon
    9. Alford - Colonel Bogey
    10. Arnold - Padstow Lifeboat
    11. Dvorak - Largo from New World Symphony
    12. Coates - The Dam Busters
    13. Trad - Londonderry Air (Danny Boy)
    14. Williams - Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom
    15. Parry - Jerusalem
    16. Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No.2
    17. Elgar - Pomp and Circumstance

.... beter check your christmas stocking early! ;)
  7. Hollie

Hollie Member

I got it for my birthday from someone at band!
    It's good stuff!!
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Can't blame Grimey for putting it out, and its obviously popular with the punters, but.........

.........Not sure this is really the stuff that the Brass Band movement needs to be promoting to the 'classical' music world - with the exception of the two film medleys most of that list would have been (& probably were) on a "Very Best of Grimethorpe LP" in the 1950/60s !

It's a shame they couldn't have slipped in at least one or two short contemporary Band repertoire works just to show what we're really capable of. Do the Grimethorpe players themselves consider this to be the "Very Best of Grimethorpe"??
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Floral Dance came close-ish. Reached number 2 in November 1977, I believe!
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how much of a say the band had in it - certainly wouldn't be the first time that a record company has taken it on themselves to revamp various tracks to try and make some more money!
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm with you on that but if they had released a couple of contemporary band pieces, I doubt if it would have got its 'chart success'. 'Very Best of Grimethorpe' is really 'Very Best of What The Punters Expect From Grimethorpe'. You and I and many others on here know they're a class act in all types of band performance. But the 'Brassed Off' factor reigns supreme....
  12. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

Well, I don't know...there's some good stuff on there.

One of my favourite recordings is an old classic from the Dyke with Cornet Carillon, Londonderry Air and Crown Imperial. It's stiring stuff.
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

Computerbloke - I agree totally - It's stirring stuff for us, as is most of the Grimeys CD, because we appreciate it for its superb tight ensemble playing, wonderful soloist tones, balance and attention to detail - it is excellent for what it is but you could probably have Grimeys play a C scale and we'd all be marvelling over the breadth of sound, perfect balance etc - but we don't necessarily appreciate this stuff because it is an exceptional arrangement or composition, and most of the orchestral world would look at us playing transcriptions of William Tell and start muttering about cloth caps and whippets.

I just feel that if this type of CD had its 12 tracks of vintage Gorgonzola (i.e. cheese, but extremely high quality cheese) but then also had a couple of bits of modern original band compositions it wouldn't necessarily detract from the 'sellability' but might, just might, start a few people in the musical establishment wondering just what we're really capable of.

I guess we should just be grateful the Arnold piece (1967) got on there.

As PB said though, I doubt that the band have much of a say in what goes into a disc - the media types choose that.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The record company could have added Derek Broadbent's arrangement of 'Do They Know It's Xmas' on it too! :)rolleyes: ... whistles away to himself!)
  15. ronnie_the_lizard

>>The record company could have added Derek Broadbent's arrangement of 'Do They
    >>Know It's Xmas' on it too!

Sorry - that wouldn't be on "The very best of Grimethorpe" that will no doubt be on an upcoming release: "The very very best of Grimethorpe Christmas CD ever, Vol XIV" ;)
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(someone let me hear the Band-Aid arrangement not too long ago and I was convinced that the Floral Dance could have been knitted into that one with a little bit of thought! ;) )
  17. ju33les

ju33les Member