Fancy landing on one of these airstrips....?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 21, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

This is a fairly large (but safe) self contained MS Powerpoint Presentation file of 3MB, but shows some airstrips I wouldn't like to be in a plane coming towards.

Airstrip Powerpoint self contained file
  2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Aaaaarghghgh! [Badger runs away screaming to find deep cave to hide in]
    Since I have to be sedated even to land at manchester most of those would send me catatonic. One of them goes UP the mountain! In the ****** snow!
    BMB who is now hyperventilating
  3. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I do not think Taking Off looks very pleasent, very rewarding when the plan comes together and you can breath again. Very good that slide John and the more you play it the better it gets.
  4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Excellent, love the one that looks more like a Ski Jump runway!
  5. six pints

six pints Active Member

yes! the snow one looked like fun!
  6. robcav

robcav Member

Great show. The scariest one I've landed on is Male airport, capital of the Maldives. Water, water everywhere and not a speck of dry land to be seen ...and then you land.
  7. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

In the mid 70s when relations between Greece and Turkey were at a low point we flew onto the greek island of chios which is not too far off the Turkish mainland - the airstrip was alongside the sea and had a curious barbed wire fence either side of the runaway for its full length with small yellow signs on. as we waited for the baggage to be unloaded of the small plane by hand (the airstrip facilities were a shed! I wandered over to fence and had a look at one of the signs.

I t had a skull and crossbones on it with something in greek and then in English "Danger - Mines". It made the return journey a bit more interesting a week later.
  8. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I think the one with least amout of error built into it is number 18 the one in the middle of a forest/wood.
  9. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

It would have been nice if they said which airports they were, then I could have a go at them on Flight Sim!!!