Fancy a free PC...? Looks too good to be true...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 15, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All...

Well, maybe if it is too good to be true - it is too good to be true eh! But many of us here may be interested in taking a look at...

http://www.metronomy.com/

... and having a think about what they are offering.

I can't see the company managing to survive personally. I read about a US company that tried something similar who went out of business - but registered users of the scheme kept the PC they were given. Might just be worthwhile doing this for that alone!

Your call... let us know if you have a go yeah...:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    PC
    many
    All
    users
    company
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock:

Looks quite tempting that... :D

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Seen these offers before. There was something put on the net on how to disable the ad-server yet still maintain the internet traffic to the central site, making it think you were maintaining the agreement. To be honest I'm surprised that someone else is trying it.

5. amgray

amgray Member

1 minute of advertising every 20 mins of use? Looks like time for a 1 minute "comfort break"/ screen break to me :lol:

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I've signed up.
    What's the worst that can happen..............?

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

You'll have to let us know! :lol:

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I did too... I think the worst that can happen is that nothing happens...

Kirsty

9. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I think the catch comes in a couple of things mentioned in the terms and conditions:

you have to load a software disc every month "with the adverts on". Most people have no way of telling what else is being loaded at the same time. spyware etc maybe???

you have to give the computer back at the end of 3 years. so technically it is only a free lease, the computer never actually belongs to you.

there were other things i noticed, but i wont bore you. just thought id say its not quite the deal it looks.

10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

It's exactly what it looks, a free computer for 3 years, at which point you get a newer one.

There are adverts every hour, which if you ask me is a great idea, it will stop you looking at the screen, and thus will reduce eye strain etc.!

so what if there is spyware loaded on? who cares about spyware? you can get blockers or removers to get rid or deal with it, and they are hardly going to load their own computers with viruses, in fact, they will want to keep them running so they don't lose any advertising revenue. It's not a con, it just turns your computer into an american tv station.

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the link........I've just spent the thick end of £1000 on a new PC set-up. D'OH!!!

Seriously though it does sound too good to be true, which means it probably is!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    PC
    many
    All
    users
    company
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i don't think work would appreciate me setting up a second computer next to mine running adverts all day... if only i had a connection at home! :cry:

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I think it states they replace the computer every 3 years. I have signed up. Not worried about spyware as I have nothing to worry about!

All they have is my name, address and email details, which are freelyn available to be brought from any marketing company. Just going to sit back wait and see!