Famous Brass Banders?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HannahLouise, Mar 18, 2009.

1. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

Anyone know of any famous people that use to play in brass bands? It's a subject that I've always wondered about! I know the actor Colin Salmon used to play. He's from my hometown too.
  2. rikster

rikster New Member

I believe Melanie Sykes, the TV presenter plays or played Baritone in her local band with family.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Tara Fitzgerald and Ewan McGregor - they were so famous, that they made a film about them - cant remember the name of it though :)
  4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Peter Skellern although not exactly famous!

The fat guy on the telly, I think his name is Corden? used to play in the SA.

Dave Whelan, chairman of Wigan Athletic and owner of JJB Sports was in NYBBGB I think.
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

TV Chef Brian Turner used to play tuba i believe
  6. Columbo

Columbo Member

Peter Skellern (Song writer and pianist/singist) played with Besses Boys some years ago. Victoria Wood had a dabble, although I'm not sure with who. Will young also played cornet, but again not sure who with.
  7. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Don't forget Patrick Moore (The Sky At Night Presenter) he is a very accomplished Xylophone player, he made one or two recordings with Ever-Ready Band.
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Whilst not exactly a player, Stephen Fry is Cawston band's president.
  9. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

I believe he was a trombone player
  10. Columbo

Columbo Member

He did play in NYBB. He was a cornet player. Thats from the horses mouth.
  11. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Oops. My mistake :oops:

I did spot Russ Abbott at the Grand Shield a few years back. Don't know if he used to play though or if he was just there out of interest
  12. Columbo

Columbo Member

That's fantastic, What a legend!
  13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

And a brighouse fan!
  14. jim

jim Member

Seun Moore the Drummer from the Manic Street Preachers used to play soprano for Newbridge must have been the 80's.
  15. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Really jim? thats quite cool :clap:
  16. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

James Corden!?? Really? I love him.

Lol this is really interesting. I can see a reality TV show here - 'Celebrity Brass Band'.

I can really see Brian Turner playing tuba!
  17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

The actor Max Beesley is a drummer and used to play with bands over in the North West.
  18. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

He played one course for the NYBBGB in the 1960's. (Birmingham 1962 I think)
    He had the next dorm bed to me and we were quite matey.

On one course there was a Grand Piano in the School hall and we'd wander in after an evening on the town and he'd sit and play his compositions while I listened.

Dr Denis Wright came for a listen one night and told him to persevere as he "Had promise"

He played trombone for Haydock Band at the time.

He was a very nice bloke.

- Wilkie
  19. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I've got a wicked story to tell you about him, i'll tell you tomorrow night.
  20. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

Oh yes. I knew he was a drummer as he played live at a Robbie Williams concert I went to once. I can't remember if it was Knebworth or the MK bowl.