Family Members In The Bass section

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tuba1974, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

Just a quick question are we the only family with bass players in the same band
    My dad played Eb/Bb bass with hebden Bridge Band.
    I play Eb and my 2 nephews both play Bb in the band,
    Is this a record or are any more out there.
    let me know.:clap:

2. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

:biggrin: i know of bands where the family should be on bass, but, unfortunately aren't.........:eek:
  3. cornetking

cornetking New Member

is it 4

is it 4 :clap::p:tup
  4. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

We have a mother and son on EEb in our band, but with six basses they don't have to sit next to each other!! I am sure he will tell you all about it....come on Tubageek!!
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

When I was a kid, March Railway Band had at least three members of the Steward Family in the basses.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Whitburn have two brothers on EEb (Graham & Robert Fraser) and another two on BBb (Alan & Neil Gourlay).
  7. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

At present Mike (husband) and I are both notionally in the bass section - though he spends more time hitting things like timps than actually blowing his Bflat. Previously we had two brothers (steve and Andy Popham) on Eflat.
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Becontree have our own Laserbeam Bass and Will the Sec ( Brothers ) on the bass section. Used to think LBB was also the brother of Big Dave Bowman when I first joined them as well but was put right ! I thought they looked quite similar !:)
  9. tubajo

tubajo New Member

I play Eb and my husband plays Bb bass with Rainford. The other two bass players are also brothers.
  10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Possibly uniquely, my family not only boasts two tuba players in the same band - but also three viola players.

Thus one family has 75% of all the competent Viola players in the London area....

11. AnotherBassPlayer

AnotherBassPlayer New Member

Most Bass players look like they should be related !!!!
  12. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

Don't worry, I'm here Tim, but you're really ruining my 'street cred'!

I haven't come across a lot of mother-son combinations...for good reason probably!
  13. Tim Fermor

Tim Fermor New Member

My mother & I both play Eb bass in the same band
    but there is a 41 year and 12 inch gap between us!!
  14. David Mann

David Mann Member

Hollinwood SA used to have a bass section made up of the Chesney family; Ernie on BBb, + Ernie's dad and (I think) 2 uncles. Ernie was in the YP band in 1924 with my dad's older brother and played until the late 80s / early 90s, never played anything but BB.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Slightly off-topic, I know, but you may be interested to know that Bram Chesney is still active, playing with both Hadleigh Temple and the South London Fellowship Band, and was featured playing Ivor Bosanko's "My unchanging friend" at Belfast Sydenham on Saturday night.
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

Still off topic, then, I have copies of photos depicting Ernie in the band through the years; if Bram doesn't have any of them then please ask him to get in touch.