Fake It or Bake It?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

This is probably one for the girlies, but blokes feel free to come out...
    Following on from the fake tan disaster thread, what's the best fake tan around? Given that I'm a pale English Rose type with chestnut hair and the pink skin to match.
    I'm still using up some Avon beBronze, which gives a nice colour, but can be uneven and smells very weird.
    My sister-in-law swears by Sanctuary (but she's a highly qualified and well-paid physiotherapist, I am poor) and always looks fantabulous.
    I did once get a St Tropez, and although it looked great it only looked great for about 3 days, in spite of moisturising. Not paying out loads of money just to fade as quickly as a home tan.
    Any suggestions?
    BMB, with a hint of a tan after a week in Wales (?!)
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Awww i over cooked myself yesterday! Proper lobster i am now! :(
  3. bigmamabadger

My problem is that my top half tans lovely, but my legs just stay white, no matter how much I overcook. Off now to do the legs whilst watching University Challenge. Unless the ****** tennis has got in the way again.

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

I hear most women fake it anyway...
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My one experience of faking it was a disaster....luckily managed to fade in time for the wedding!
    At the moment I have naturally off white shoulders due to the beautiful sunshine and being a student so I can spend all afternoon being a lady that lunches in the garden.

My legs too leave a little to be desired and are the bluer side of white!
  6. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

leave it out! stay pale, you know it's in fashion really :p
    (actually i just burn at anything above room temperature)
  7. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i absolutely fried at greenday the other day, and now i've finished peeling i'm the brownest i've ever been!!! its great!!! altho my legs are still a whiter shade of white....... and i refuse to bare them in public, so they're stayin white. i dont wanna use fake tan coz u jus know i'm gunna cock it up and its gunna go orange and streaky and then not fade ever and i'm gunna be left lookin like a frazzle :rolleyes:
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I absolutly burnt myself at Bugle contest last weekend.... where I went red actually tanned off nicely, although sadly its only on my hands mainly...
    I fried the top of my left ear and my chin as well.... chin is still pretty bad :(
  9. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Using fake tan just gave me orange hands!!!:oops: :oops: :oops:
    Just have to stay pale then!
  10. brass journo

brass journo Member

quick tip

here's a quick tip for a fast and easy tan on your legs before you go out! Get a bit of foundation from your make-up back, mix it into your moisturiser and rub it into your legs! gives a subtle tint which makes you look less lilly white and takes a minute to do and no streaks!!!

my top tip pour la jour!
    happy streaking!

and stop burning everyone....... get your factr 20 out to start then re-apply regularly with a lower factor - you still get tanned and not burned!

11. bigmamabadger

And that's another slapping for the bunny, who really should know any better...
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Slightly off topic, maybe, but did anyone else see "Kath & Kim" last week? The mother had bought a one-sleeved top for her hen night but had then put her fake tan on the wrong arm: rather than waste more of the tan, her daughter suggested she put the top on the other way round ;)

(well, it was funny on the programme anyway!)
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Here's the thing.... I actually was putting suncream on throughout the day...
    maybe it's cos I'm a blonde bimbo that it didn't work :p
  14. Di

Di Active Member

I won't need to bake or fake - I've got 6 weeks to gently tan myself in the garden, as and when I please. Well, when I take time of from tMP. :biggrin:;)

Shall I start the engine now? :tongue:
  15. bigmamabadger

Be careful out there Dinie, sunbathing is hard work, you don't want to overdo it too soon;) .

Well I faked the legs last night, and they don't look too bad, no streaks, and if you bake outside for a bit as well the weird smell goes away.
  16. rutty

rutty Active Member

I here that "Pasty White" is actually coming back into fashion this year anyway - why risk skin cancer if pale is "in"? ;)

As far as fake tan goes, a lot of people rave about eco-tan:

I suffered through too much QVC in my married days, and this was often demostrated. Easy to apply and no streaks. Allegedly.
  17. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

No BAKE. Daft.

Pale is classy innit? Read yer history.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We could always go back to Elizabethan times, and "whiten up" instead ;)
  19. anGel oF mUsiC

anGel oF mUsiC New Member

i work in a swimming pool, so fake tans never work anyway coz they just wash off, and if i tan in summer come winter im white again.....

the best trick i have discovered is to just stop trying and somehow i ended up tanning a bit more last summer.....

but now that its winter im all white again
  20. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

White is definatly fashionable! (sorry about the spelling, i must have missed school that day)

Have a look at the Boots Soltan Advert on TV

I would rather be white than look like the girl on there.

Boots do a good range of fake tans if thats what you want to call them.

I would recommend Boots No7 stocking cream, its does the job perfectly on your legs.