Fairy Tale of New York. Been done yet?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Rapier, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

So has anyone arranged Fairy Tale of New York yet? (The Pogues and Kirsty McColl classic) and if not why not? :cool:
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's a col song but I hope to God no-one arranges it for Brass band, it just wouldn't ound right. I'd feel exactly the same when I've heard other artists cover it. The song is cool because of who is singing it as well as the music
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

We've had several requests for it during the last couple of weeks out carolling etc. It'd have to be better than Amarillo. :D
  4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Can't argue with that!
  5. persins

persins Member

Ooo now that's a close one!
    I reckon that a fair few people could make a sound resembling Shane MacGowen but Kirsty MacColl would be harder to replicate.
    I'm with you Roy, leave it where it lays.
  6. Pav

Pav Member

Put Shane's part on baritone, that should give the desired effect!
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

LMAO!!!!!!! :D :tup
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Except that any version of it will make people think of Kirsty McColl.

If enough people remember, perhaps the world will see jutice done for her.

Go here for more details.
  9. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

I take exception to that as a Bari player - Ive got a full set of teeth and no expensive drug habit !!!

Id love to play it but agree leave it alone, its a very special song.
  10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'll assume there is still no arrangement? A few people at band have asked if it has been done, but I've not seen anything commercially available.
  11. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ooh that's a bit out of order!
  12. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Like the notes on a baritone?;)
  13. Will the Sec

So, many members of the public want it.

And I want justice for Kirsty McColl. And every time it's played, Kirsty's family's need for justice can be highlighted.

So, even if it upsets the "leave it alone" brigade (with whom I tend to agree on most things), I'm going to seek permission to do an arrangement.
  14. JR

JR Member

sorry - no - this sort of stuff on a brass band just sounds ridiculous despite the best intentions - and sounds counter productive, ironic and just ...daft

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's just a song! No reason not to have a Brass Band arrangement of it, if it's a naff arrangement, bands won't play it.
  16. Bungle

Bungle Member

Better for someone to do it now, rather than leave it to 'the man who shall not be mentioned'
  17. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Bit cryptic for you bungle - can't you be more Frank in your reply?
  18. Will the Sec

Well, I'm not going to do it now YOU have contributed your opinion. :rolleyes:
  19. davidsait

davidsait Member

Every year for the past 6 years I've gone pub-carolling and every year it's the piece that's requested most often.

So, if someone can produce a 4-part arrangement I can stick in the back of the red books, that would be fantastic!
  20. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

After reading this thread and thinking about it, I have to say that it would, with a bit of care, work not too badly, although not in a 4 part "carol" style. Of course it would never sound as good as the original - it's impossible to make any brass instrument sound like Shane McGowan!! -but the opening section would surely benefit from the warmth that a good brass band could bring to it. The faster stuff would need a bit of thought, but it's possible.
    I'm aware that this particular song has a special quality and meaning for some that makes tampering with it in any way a dangerous thing to do. But I'm sure if it was done correctly, it'd work surprisingly well. (With all the permissions, of course!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.