Facial hair just hurts!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Mar 19, 2004.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how playing a brass instrument with facial hair doesn't bother some people??

I've tried it and not only does it hurt, but you can't stop air escaping either.
    I don't get it. (How they do it that is, not facial hair!)

And incidentally, if any females have any comments to make;
    1. "Immac" or electrolysis,
    and
    2. Good, glad to hear your opinions too!!

No offence intended at all to anyone of any gender who may or may not have facial hair, it just puzzles me how it's done.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Facial hair
    air escaping
    females
    comments
    Immac
  3. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I'm bad enough without facial hair getting in the way but if I don't shave for a couple of days then go to a rehearsal it's really uncomfortable. I've never let it go as far as having a beard so I can't say what that's like but a healthy growth just hurts :)

4. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I think Big Twigge and I should resign our thrones as Queens of Random on tMP and hand the crown to Crawf! (In fairness though, he has always been random... or maybe it was because we played in a band that rehearsed Sunday mornings and he was often spectacularly unwell :lol: )

I personally find I play better if I shave my legs though....! :wink:

Rach x

5. Digger

Digger Member

Just sounds like an excuse to be late to rehearsals and leave all the hard work down to the rest of the section i.e. 'Sorry I'm late but if I didn't shave I wouldn't have been able to play as well!' :lol:

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

There's someone I know, who plays tenor horn/cornet... he has a moustache (if thats how you spell it).... I always wonder how on earth people can play with them...
    I said to a past conductor of mine, that all split notes were caused because of the facial hair he had... "shave it off!" I said...
    Good excuse though I reckon...

;-)

7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I don't think it matters too much to be honest. I personally don't like playing completely clean shaven as it helps for grip and the skins just generally a bit tender afterwards. Don't want to be cutting your lip on contest day now do you! Can think of plenty of top players on all instruments who have moustaches/beards and obviously plenty that don't, so I think it's personal preference.

8. 2nd man down

It's not the facial hair that makes me late, it's that damn finger lickin' good chicken place on the way!! (Thanks Deb!!)

9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've had a moustache and beard for years, and it's never bothered my playing. However, I do know of people who have grown a moustache and then not been able to get a good sound until they got rid of it. The key thing is to make sure that you can still get a good seal and not have any leaks.

10. dave jake

dave jake Member

Most people I know who play with beards shave the part where the mouthpiece touches, can look a bit odd with a 2 inch circle around the lips if you plau Bb bass but its good for snogging :p :p

11. dave jake

dave jake Member

oops not that I ve snogged many bass players :oops: :oops:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Facial hair
    air escaping
    females
    comments
    Immac
  13. 2nd man down

Well that's what I do when I don't have time to do the whole lot but it doesn't half look stupid!! Luckily I'm a cornet player, I can imaging the Bb bass shaved bit looks brilliant!!!

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

So, going by the threads so far if I wax my chest, I'll be able to hold notes for longer... where's the immac gone :twisted:

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Many? :shock:

16. dave jake

dave jake Member

Just my mate Tim you ll seeus holding hands as we go on stage tomorrow :shock: :shock: the snogging helps with the staggered breathing, well thats what he told me :roll: :roll:

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Always thought there was something going with yous 2!! :eek:

18. one_careful_owner

one_careful_owner New Member

i remember a second cornet player with a 'tache always doing a little mexican wave thing with his top lip before playing to get it out of the way.

that was always greatly amusing. :lol:

19. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Yep, I find it irritating too Crawf ... can't imagine what it'll be like when my body finally catches up with me and I can grow a proper beard :shock:

20. timbloke

timbloke Member

I've had a beard for the last year or so. and my playing is as good as its ever been. don't think the beard has had much of an impact

21. Trigger

Trigger Member

Yep, I agree with you on that one!! :lol: I find that waxing is better though, gets it all off and it lasts for ages! Can't bare hair!!! :wink:

22. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

waxing is painful tho!!