FA Cup semi final draw

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Sunderland v Millwall or Tranmere Rovers
    Arsenal v Manchester United

Which means presumably, the winner of Millwall/Tranmere v Sunderland will automatically go into the UEFA Cup (unless Arsenal or Man U have a major collapse in the Premiership and don't make the Champions league!)
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Woopie doo! The prospect of a second rate club competing in a European competition fills me with so much joy!

But then again arsenal might not qualify ...
  3. drums4monty

drums4monty Member

Chuffed to bits, I support Sunderland :bounce
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

United and Tranmere would be a cracking final...

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Absolutely! I'd crack up if Tranmere won that one!

Seriously though, what would be the ruling now? Long time ago but back in 1969 Swindon beat Arsenal in the League Cup Final. Even then, the winners usually went on to qualify for the Fairs Cup (as the UEFA Cup was then known) As Swindon were in the old Third Division at the time, they were not allowed to enter European competition and Arsenal took their place (and subsequently won the Fairs Cup the next season!)

If the 'impossible' (maybe not so impossible...) happened and Tranmere did get to the final against Arsenal or Man U, would they be allowed in the UEFA Cup next season? Anyone know the rules on this?
  6. ScrapingtheBottom

Weren't middlesborough in the same position a while back? I don't think they were allowed to compete though.
  7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Will someone PLEASE knock the mackems out please??

Sunderland in Europe? I don't think passport office will cope, i mean they've never needed them before!
  8. ScrapingtheBottom

Yeah, like any of them will be allowed to travel!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

A friend of mine here at work had wondered about the possibility of Millwall drawing Galatasaray in the UEFA next season...... that'll provoke an outburst of peace and camaraderie amongst the fans! ;-)
  10. ScrapingtheBottom

Oh my dear god...
  11. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Pah. Silly pointless competition anyway...

/disgruntled Sheff United fan

We Want To Concentrate On Promotion Anyway.

:lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

another year, another meaningless final... ah well, I would like to see Millwall in Europe, show them how much English supporters have come on thanks to the ban in the 80s...
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Only cos you don't want to face the giggles of your bandmaster if United don't get through and the Rokermen do!!!

Although Arsenal vs Sunderland may cause serious falling out with best mate.... :?

Rach x
  14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I remember Ipswich competing in the UEFA Cup the season after they were relegated to Division 1. This was only a couple of seasons ago though.
    As for a 2nd Division club taking part, I can't see any problem. Tranmere's ground probably has much better facilities than some Eastern European grounds they might end up going to!
  15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Even if a nationwide clubs ground isn't up to UEFA standard they can play their home games at another stadium anyway. UEFA don't have a problem with this. As it stands I believe the winners of the nationwide semi-final will qualify for the UEFA cup assuming both Arsenal and Man Utd qualify for the Champions League. The qualifying criteria are agreed between UEFA and the FA, in conjunction with the Premier League, at the start of the season.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Barry Town compete in Europe a few seasons ago?
  17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

And some Western European grounds too!
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well they turned up - not sure they competed that well though! ;)