Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by eymsbrassband, Apr 5, 2016.

1. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

NEIL Day, principal cornet with East Yorkshire Motor Services Band and a former Black Dyke front row player, has announced his retirement from playing with immediate effect.

His final appearance with the band was at the North of England Area Contest at Durham last month, when he helped EYMS again qualify for the National Finals in October.

It brings to an end his third spell with the band and allows Neil to focus on a demanding full-time job and spending more time with his family.

He revealed: “I have been kind of grappling with indecision and doubts about bringing my playing career to an end for quite some time.

“I now feel this is the right time after 42 years of playing and creating some wonderful memories that I need to commit more time to my demanding role at work and spending valuable time with my family.

He stressed he was “not disillusioned by the band in any way” and believes it has every reason to be optimistic after the arrival in February of new musical director Stig Maersk.

Neil went on: “With the recent arrival of Stig, I have every reason to be positive about the future for the band under his direction. I know that the band has a terrific future with or without me.”

He wished the band the “very best for the future” and acknowledged the many friendships he has formed during his time at EYMS.

“Whoever takes over the Principal Cornet Chair at EYMS will be joining a very dedicated and talented bunch of musicians, a great band, fantastic people and a true professional in their new MD Stig Maersk,” he said.

Neil’s departure creates an immediate opportunity for an ambitious cornet player as the band looks forward to appearing not only at the Royal Albert Hall later in the year but also to competing in the Grand Shield at Blackpool next month on Edward Gregson’s fine work Of Distant Memories.

EYMS Band chairman Tony Newiss said: “Neil is a top player who has given fantastic service to the band over many years and has enjoyed some fine successes with us both on the contest and concert platforms. We all wish him well for the future.

“His leaving, though, creates a great chance for someone of the right calibre to lead a talented cornet section in a fully-committed band with real ambitions for the future.”

Tony can be contacted on 07710 667843 or via the website at www.eymsbrassband.co.uk