Extinct brass bands and family trees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brasspenguin, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Brasspenguin

Brasspenguin Moderator Staff Member

Two pages in the IBEW Reference section deal with these topics.

Extinct Brass Bands is an attempt to collect and collate information about bands that are no longer in existence. Any suggestions for inclusion, or better still details about the bands themselves, would be very welcome.

The Brass Band Genealogy lists the founding dates of bands together with their various name changes, mergers and predecessors. Again, any additions, further information or even corrections are sought.

As published sources about specific brass bands are very sparse and, sadly, those that remember the older bands are gradually disappearing, the IBEW is trying to capture any nuggets of knowledge about our brass band heritage that exist and make them available to a wider audience.
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

For the Uckfield Concert Brass entry, the following were past names:
    (most recent first)

Friday-Ad Brass
    Uckfield Industries Band
    The Uckfield Band - which is still the official name of the band as per original trust deed.

Related bands: Uckfield Youth Brass (currently dormant)

For Sussex Brass (Hastings), the band was a merger between Pevensey Silver Band & Hastings Borough Band
  3. markyboy

markyboy Member

Hi Gavin. I've read this feature on your website and found it really interesting.
    Its a sad fact of banding that bands do dissapear (sp) and other bands merge.
    Within my time of playing one of the complicated name changes/ mergers/ break aways has been the Wakefield Schools Band/Warren Youth/Home Charm Paints/Tingley/Gawthorpe etc,.I cant remember it all!
    I didn't play for any of these bands but I know that they are all somehow related.
    When I get chance I will try and remember how it all transpired!
    If someone better qualified than me wants to contribute then plaese do speak up.
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Please remind me to write something about Runnymede Brass, sadly no longer with us. A breakaway group from Egham Band in the 70's, they achieved some successes with David Baker then myself at the helm, reaching the top three in the first section London Area Contest in 1995.

A short but acrimonious split followed, and the brief emergence of Thames Brass from the ashes was also sadly short lived...

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

And Mid Sussex brass was a merger of Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill Town Bands. Surprised you missed that one Andy!

Alex x
  6. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Extinct Brass Band

I can help with information regarding Yeadon Old Band. Over 150 years old and we are just in the process of winding up. Sad but no longer viabale. Quite hard to believe that there is now no contesting band in the North West of Leeds, closest now in Bradford, Harrogate or Wetherby.
    TTFN :roll:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Useful resources there that could help resolve confusion.

One name missing from the Defunct list is City of Coventry, who achieved some success under Albert Chappell, amongst others, as well as a fine recording under their new name of Jaguar Cars (City of Coventry), under Ray Farr. They folded when Jaguar discontinued their sponsorship.

The Coventry situation is particularly complicated in that Coventry Festival Band, listed in the Brass band Genealogy, became Rolls Royce (Coventry) in 1982, before being themselves taken under the Jaguar wing in 2002, now being known as Jaguar (Coventry).

In the meantime, the local authority in Coventry decided, amidst no little controversy at the time, to bestow the name "City of Coventry" on the former Coventry School of Music Band, wrongly listed as no longer in existence in the 4barsrest report on previous Grand Shield/Senior Cup competitors.

Just to complete the set, when Rolls sponsored Coventry Festival Band, the old junior band continued independently, under the name Coventry Festival Junior Band. When they realised that they had more players over 60 than under 18, they felt they should drop the "junior", and are now known as Coventry Festival Band.

Is it any wonder we need a resource such as yours :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

For The Entry for Frickley South Elmsall Band. They have been know as

Carlton Main Youth until 1992
    Frickley South Elmsall Colliery Brass till 1993
    Frickley South Elmsall RS Haulage Till 1995
    Frickley South Elmsall Standard Fireworks band Until 1999

Ever Ready have been known in the past as Every Ready GB and also Berec Ever Ready

British Steel Teesside band sandly no longer with us. Have also been know as.
    North Skelton Band
    British Steel Company North Skelton
    British Steel Teesside Band
    Teesside Brass
  9. such a sad subject to write about but here are a few more bands that have gone to the wall;
    langwith miners welfare
    teversal miners welfare
    loscoe miners welfare
    clipstone colliery band
    calverton colliery band
    bolsover colliery band
    stanton and staveley band
    long lea band
    depressing in'it
  10. markyboy

markyboy Member

Really sad to hear that Yeadon are in the process of winding up. Especially when they such an old band.
    That must be heartbreaking for the people who have been involved for many years. My sympathies are with you.
    On a more positive note, I'm sure there will be many tMPers whose band is going through a bad patch, and wonder if their band is going to go under.
    When I was a member of Meltham and Meltham Mills Band, in 1992 we lost 21 players in 10 months and there were many times I thaught this great famous old band was going to fold.
    Eleven years on and they have a full band and full practices twice a week. Much of that goes to the hard work of their Conductor Stuart Fawcett, and Tony Clarke (plus daughter Alison) who have clocked up about 70 years between them.
    If you think there is no light at the end of the tunnel, there can be. So keep plugging on!!
    Hopefully Gavin might not have to report on any more bands folding for some long time! That would be nice, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind..
    Just had a thaught... I haven't seen any Melthamer's on tMP. Where are you guys?!?
  11. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Thanks for your comments Markyboy.

It has been a very sad time in Yeadon over the last few years. We have struggled to keep the band going and have tried many different ways to recreuit players and keep them but to no avail.

Unfortunately there comes a point when you have to say that it is going to be your last attempt at resurrecting the band. Unfortunately the last push didn't work and hence the decision to fold.

I've been with the band for about 3 years and find it upsetting but it is even worse for people such as our Chairman Alan who has played with the band for around 30 years (if not longer) and was with them when they were promoted to second section a few years ago.
  12. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

Hello Gavin, Grimethorpe's info

Originally - Grimethorpe Colliery Institute Band (Until ??)
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band till 1995
    Grimethorpe Colliery RJB Band till 2002
    Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band

13. Brasspenguin

Brasspenguin Moderator Staff Member

Keep them coming!

Thanks all for the information so far. Do spread the word on my behalf if you can! All of the details will be added to the lists asap and I look forward to hearing about other "lost" bands and bands former names.

14. asteria

asteria Member

I think Eccles Borough might be quite surprised to find they are on the extinct list, especially since they're due to play at Pontins!!

Two more extinct bands to add from my home village - Wyke Temperance and Wyke Old (i think)
    Temperance were conducted by William Rimmer and Edwin Swift, and were highly successful, they won the British Open three times in the late 1800s. From what i was told Wyke Old just drank a lot (being the non-temperance band!) :guiness

Don't know much about the two bands, but there was huge competition between them, partly because Wyke Temperance had a local following (back in the days when the public supported bands like football!).
    There's a story along the lines of when Temperance came home on the train sat on the front with the Open cup and celebrating their win Wyke Old (who had been in the pub!) stood on the bridge and hurled abuse at them! Wouldn't see scenes like that nowadays........ :lol:
  15. Heather

Heather Member

An obvious one is Swinton Concert Brass.
    I was one of the 2 founder members when it started life as a local Scout and Guide Band many years ago.
    It didn't really have a proper name then but developed into
    'Youth Town Brass' when local schoolchildren began joining.
    Eventually, we all grew up and some older people joined and we decided the 'Youth' wasn't really suitable , so I and the remainder of the comittee decided on Swinton Concert Brass.
    Sponsorship changed the name to 'Kennedy's Swinton Concert' and then when the sponsorship ended it went back to winton Concert Brass.
    Unfortunately, the rest is history!
  16. Heather

Heather Member

I meant to say Swinton.
  17. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

And what a band they were/could've been! Gutting that they are no more.

Had a few decent bass troms over the years I've heard too!

18. Bones

Bones Member

Nothing to do with you I suppose Phil????????
  19. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

I was a good player back then, it was my heyday - didn't split a note in 7years (hmmm...)!

But the legend that is Steve Baxter sat there before me, and the other legend that is BoozyBassTrom sat there after. Shame the band is no more.

Another band from that neck of the woods Lingdale - what happened to them - I think there was a merger with Yarm, but not sure after that - Gareth do you know?
  20. Moy

Moy Active Member

The band I play for are called Granite City Brass.
    They were before that UDI Aberdeen City Band and before that Stoneywood Mills and Works Band. Not too sure of the order but will check it out.