Extended Licensing Laws - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Aug 16, 2005.

?

Are the new licensing laws a good or bad thing?

1. Good

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No difference

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Bad

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Following the August deadline for pubs, clubs and other premises to apply for extended opening hours to sell alcoholic drinks do you think this will be a good or bad thing?

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I 'think' I'm in favour. Having staggered chucking out times, should prevent a lot of the clashes over minicabs, kebab queues etc. As long as pubs and clubs in the same town centre don't all decide to close at about the same time! Having said that, the Door men will have their work cut out when one place closes and the customers head for the bar/pub/club that is still open.

3. vonny

vonny Member

I don't really have an opinon to say whether extended licensing laws would be a good or bad idea. I think that no matter what... binge drinking would still exist, as would anti-social behaviour etc... I would say that having extended licensing laws would possibility contribute to problems that are already associated with 'drinking', but as for a clear cut opnion - I believe, just dosen't exist

Yvonne

4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It will not encourage more responsible drinking as in say France which is what the government seem to be aiming at. They are different sort of drinkers to the average Brit. Drinking in many European countries is part of a meal or night out, rather than being drinking purely for drinkings sake. Any problems that take place in this country as a result of alcohol mis/overuse are sociological/cultural and little to do with the availability of alcohol at specific times.

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Don't think it'll make much difference really. We're at the point of stupid drinking now and not much will change that. I like a good sesh but I've never been into drinking so much I fell over and ****ed myself in the gutter. Binge-drinking and the associated problems are here to stay...
    BMB
    xx

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

tough one really... I'm hoping no different... but I guess we'll soon find out though eh...

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

johnflugel just about sums up what I think (maybe its the common flugelist thought process...;) ). What I don't believe is the predictions of [almost] total armagedden in our city centres at night. Sure for the first six months or so things might be worse but I reckon over time it will even out and there will be an equal amount of trouble, possibly spread over a few more hours. Not good for the Police in one respect as they will have to deal with strife thoughout the small hours...but at least the peak time of 2-3am will be avoided.

Long rambling post, but I would say no difference.

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I didn't vote as I think it makes more sense just for Fri/ Sat and Holidays.

Weekends are already crazy with the clubs open late and wot not, I just think things should be kept toned down during the week.

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think it depends on where you live. Had I still been living in London, I could see problems, but here on Arran? There's not much here in the way of a 'drink till you drop' attitude. Indeed most pubs here are open until midnight most nights and longer for one off events.

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Anyone who thinks this will help must be soft in the head, speaking as a young person/student I'm positive that it will cause more bother as all its going to do is give everyone who starts trouble longer to get bevved up and make them even worse at a later time of night.

The way to stop alcohol abuse is to serve smaller measures like are served on the continent and hike up the prices. Plus maybe trying something where after 12 o clock the bars only serve for a few 10-15 mins periods and only serve a person a maximum of 2 drinks.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laws
    Bad
    thing
    drinks
    premises
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if the powers-that-be have really thought through the implications of the changes. I do foresee problems, both affecting customers and management, faced with the problem of providing staff cover for a more extended period, and with ensuring those staff get home safely at the end of their shift.

In our area, we already have problems, and not only in the town centre, with groups and individuals who turn out of the clubs not fully in control. The licensed trade joined together with the local authority to provide a subsidised bus service on a couple of the busiest routes, but it met with mixed success. With the extended hours, there will be no public transport available, increasing the likelihood of arguments over taxis, not to mention the risks of people being attacked on thir way home.

The Essex police force already seems to be at full stretch, and I'm sure they are not relishing the prospects of incidents going on throughout the night, not to mention the paperwork running across the end of their shift.

I also agree with what others have said about comparing the UK with drinking patterns on the continent: the whole set-up is very different, as drinking there is much more linked with family-based activities and eating, rather than same-age groups out to show off to their mates etc.

13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

I don't know much about the social implications but I know the paperwork will be annoying for the bars.
    xx

14. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Shhhh!!! Andy you idiot, suggest that!!!

15. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I have to agree with some of the above posts; aiming for European style drinking laws needs an European style attitude to alcohol, where it is drunk socially and in moderation, as opposed to the British idea of getting completely off your face as fast as you can, just for the sake of it.

It seems like a good idea in principle, but I believe there should be some extra measures put in place to try and control alcohol consumption that leads to antisocial behaviour, for example maybe introducing a sliding scale for prices, increasing by x% every hour after 11 or 12. I've also heard the suggestion that people being drunk and disorderly in public should be fined on the spot (does this already happen?) - it seems that, especially for us students, putting a financial incentive on drinking more responsibly is the only way these extended hours would work.

I have to say I'm not looking forward to going back to Cardiff and seeing the effects there, it's absolute carnage on the weekend, and I can just tell now it's going to be much worse!

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

To be honest, I think a lot of hype is being made over this than is necessary. many places will not go for 24 licences or what have you, 12 midnight - 1am ish seems the norm. I have spent the last week processing planning dept consultations on licence applications so am quite knowledgable....

To be honest, a lot of newer establishments may well have conditions of planning permission which restricts their hours of operation anyway meaning that an amendment of condition application has to be submitted and approved before an enxtended licence could be applied for anyways....

It won't cure our drinking culture, it is too ingrained because the nanny state rules have been around too long. Its a change that is welcome in my view, just too damn late! I look forward to enjoying having a quiet pint with my mates til 12 or whenever I get tired as opposed to gettting kicked out at 11.30pm. Vive la revolution!

17. persins

persins Member

I think that removing the pressure to get as much alcohol down you before "time" as possible could help to curb some of the trouble that kicks off most weeks in certain circumstances but will not sort out everything.
    At first, there will be a great deal of abuse of the relaxed licensing laws but then gradually, I think it will calm down. At present, there is nothing to stop you going to a supermarket and getting enough alcohol to last you for a week and then just sitting there and drinking it. There will therefore still be some, who get absolutely hammered to the point of dangerousness no matter what the law says.
    The only way to stop that sort of behaviour is to completely change the attitude that we Enlish have towards drinking. There is only so much that the laws can do, the rest is up to us!!!!
    Anyway, I'm off to justify my local's, late license application!!!!