Expressions 2003

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by matthew ellson, Oct 20, 2003.

1. matthew ellson

matthew ellson New Member

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone out there made EXPRESSIONS 2003 at the Regent Hall on thursday 16/10/03,i was taking part and was wondering what you thought of it?
  2. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello being stupid what is Expressions 2003???? :oops: :? :roll:
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Expressions 2003 was the title of the concert by Regent Hall SA band and songsters (Choir) on the Thursday night before the Nationals, with guest soloist Derek Kane (principal euphonium ISB), a vocal soloist, and dancers. It also involved stage lighting effects, multi-media, and choreography for both songsters and the band (still unusual for SA bands), and seemed to be heavily influenced by what American SA bands and choirs seem to be doing.

It was certainly a bold thing to do (I understand they did a similar concert in 2002), and worth trying. It was obviously well prepared and rehearsed. However, for the pieces which involved choreography for the band, they had music in their lyres - obviously the safe thing to do, but when conresting bands do this sort of thing, especially Grimethorpe, YBS, etc, and even youth bands, they play from memory - much more difficult and dangerous, but it does look better. I also thought that the programme was a bit long - 7.30 start, finished at 10, admittedly with an interval.

Not wanting to be negative, it was certainly different to the "normal" run of the mill SA music festival, and Regent Hall are to be applauded for their imagination and, yes, courage in putting on such an original and different event.
  4. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

what solos did Derick play?
  5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Oh, I heard about this in another thread somewhere. Didn't know it was called Expressions 2003 though! :oops:
  6. matthew ellson

matthew ellson New Member

Derick played The Better World,There will be God,Iwant to live right ,Joy untold and Celtic melody from Windows of the World.