Explanation required! Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Roger Thorne, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

On leaving Easingwold last night at about 10.30 pm I took a wrong turn and ended up heading towards the B1363. This road took us through the pretty village of Stillington.

Having realised our mistake we had slowed down to take a good look at the signposts when we saw a life-sized male, fully dressed in black, standing motionless in someone's front garden - as you can imagine this caused quite a stir. After only a matter of yards we saw four woman dressed in white, again standing in someone's garden.
    Being fully dark by now with very little street lighting this was an extremely 'wierd' experience. As we drove through the village we saw loads of full-sized mannequins dressed in various costumes. We were so intrigued that we turned around and drove back through the village to take another look. We saw even more figures this time around.

None of us had ever seen anything like this before so I wonder if anyone can shed some light on what seems to be a very peculiar Yorkshire tradition. I'll hazard a guess that it's got something to do with a local wedding.

Can anyone help solve the mystery?

:wink:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easingwold
    B1363
    Stillington
    woman
    sized mannequins
  3. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

It's a local tradition, for local people. We'll have no trouble here!

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Roger

Lots of villages up here have scarecrow contests, usually as part of village fetes and feast days.

They are usually dressed as characters from TV or film or other personality in the news.

The best ones IMHO are at Sawley, near Pateley Bridge. Well worth a visit!

I saw some in Cornwall last year too, including a policeman directing traffic at a busy junction, and one of Del Boy next to a (real) Reliant Robin.

Now you know.

D

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thanks for the explanation David.

:wink:

6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Hehehe...that must have been quite a "scary" experience!!! :D :lol: :D

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

Derbyshire does something similar to this too, along with the traditional Well Dressings. I suppose it gives them something to do ;)

8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

BMB dragged me round a march and fĂȘte in Comberbach in the pouring rain on Saturday. The only redeeming feature being similar scareguys in gardens. Pretty good idea, I reckon. :)

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

we used to have a scarecrow competition in the village fete when I was living out in the back end of nowhere... there were some particularly impressive entries...

10. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Could this be leading to a TMP scarecrow competition. :lol:

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It sounds like a good idea, but I can spot a fatal flaw... if anyone gets hold of a photograph of some members of these forums from 3am in the morning, they could well win hands down...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easingwold
    B1363
    Stillington
    woman
    sized mannequins
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

No contest - lynchie's avatar would win it hands down :wink:

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

you may laugh, but do you SEE any crows in that field???

15. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

there's obviously one at 10-o' clock high, although not for long, as it's about to get blasted...

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

yep...Emley has it's own Scarecrow weekend too...t'was a couple of weeks ago.

Bit strange if you ask me! :roll:

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

10 o'clock?! Surely you mean 2 o'clock! :D

18. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

L'il dude, that'll be the clock over there *dods across the water*

:wink: :wink:
    ps i think its about half past one he's at anyway :p