Expenses for dep players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by slidegrease, Jun 25, 2008.

What should dep/guest players charge for helping out another band?

1. Nothing - brass banding is a hobby

6 vote(s)
  2. Travel expenses (mile for mile) only

37 vote(s)
  3. Depends on the section and/or prestige of concert/contest

21 vote(s)
  4. As much as they are willing to pay

5 vote(s)
  5. MU rates

3 vote(s)
  1. slidegrease

slidegrease New Member

Here we go, my very first thread...

If someone would kindly teach me how to create a poll, I would like to pose the following questions:

What should dep/guest players charge for helping out another band?

1. Nothing - brass banding is a hobby
    2. Travel expenses (mile for mile) only
    3. Depends on the section and/or prestige of concert/contest
    4. As much as they are willing to pay
    5. MU rates

I want to clarify that I do not mean guest soloists.
    (If this thread has already been done recently please point me in the right direction)
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What ever they want. The band can then either

a) Accept
    b) Decline or
    c) Negotiate

3. tubagod

tubagod Member

i dep for travel expenses... could´nt dream of taking more for a dep job.
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I am charging at the mo (whatever they want to give me) because I have recently bought a new cornet and it will take me donkey's yonks to save up otherwise.
  5. slidegrease

slidegrease New Member

And is it fair to charge other bands for you to have a new instrument?
    Would you charge a golf club for new clubs?
  6. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I charge nothing....unless it's ****** miles away, in which case I ask for travel expenses.
    I normally find that most bands will slip you a tenner afterwards anyway!
  7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

No but its fair to charge bands for you to play if its not your regular band and you are doing them a favour by turning up.... the amount you charge is a different matter and would depend on factors such as distance to gig, quality of band, type of concert (eg. busking in park or contest) etc, and whether or not you are doing it for your own pleasure or just to help them out.

No, but they would be charging me for the use of their facilities.... in the same way I am able to charge a band for use of my facilities (ie... ability to play and my instrument) should I so feel like it.

However, if a band is desperate enough to need deps, then in my opinion the band should be making an offer of some sort of payment in kind in the first place rather than waiting for the dep to ask for payment... I think most players will happily play for less/free if the band is up-front and offers something in the first place to make you feel you needed/wanted!
  8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Something towards travelling expenses is always appreciated... especially if I've gone a long way.

I dep for quite a few bands and I really enjoy it. More fun than doing personal practice and great for sight reading, or just to see how bands interpret different pieces.
  9. Rob

Rob Member

The thing that always amuses me is when rubbish players try and take the p*** with charging bands - you hear many stories of very average players trying to charge 4th section bands £50 for a 1 hour park job and doing a rubbish job to boot.

These clowns don't seem to realise that if you overcharge and are c**p, you don't get booked again and the band will tell other bands about you as well so they don't book you either! If you're looking to make some extra cash by playing for bands, charge reasonably and you will make more in the long run as you will be asked to play time and time again.

Also, I don't think it is a sign that a band is 'desperate' if it needs a dep once in a while (as per a few posts ago)!!!!!
  10. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm sure that a wide range of expenses is offered / requested and I've no particular opinion on the amount. I do think that common courtesy requires that the band requesting a dep should make it clear whether or not expenses are available at the time of request, and that the player should be open about whether they are happy with that or not.
  11. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It's not often that I charge a band because it's usually a case of their players helping my band out first! However, if the job is miles away I sometimes take a small fee to cover travel expenses - but it's nice to be asked if I want anything whether I take it or not.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Poll added ;)
  13. omega56

omega56 Member

i`ve depped a couple of times for local bands and not charged / declined payment except for a few weeks ago when I took a car full of " Deps" to help out at a garden fete forty odd miles away I was given fuel expenses which I gratefully accepted the rest of the " deps" did it for the experience and fun
  14. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

I dont charge nothing for going to play with other bands, but they most likley pay you for your travel expenses and to be honest it is nice to show their appreciation for your help.
  15. marc71178

marc71178 Member

What does a pint and the promise of return help (ie from the band you're depping for) count as?
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Most of the time I have depped in the States...it has always been a freebie as I know most of the local bandsmen.

In hte UK, the experience is great, but the best payment for me is often a pint, a tie or a band CD...probably in that order.

I can certainly understand (with the cost of petrol) where expenses may need to be a bit more...but I'm quite torn between 1,2&3 in the poll.
  17. eanto

eanto Member

The way to do things!:clap:
  18. agentorange

agentorange Member

As a player, It'll be a pint if its local, or just travelling expenses if its any distance.

As an ex-committee member, I always offered, and expected to pay reasonable expenses, but there are a few people who expect to be paid more.

There is nothing necassarily wrong in this (especially perhaps for a student or a 'professional' musician) but in this case it's probably best to declare your fees when you are 'booked' rather than after you have played. That way there will be no nasty surprises, no awkward moments, and no bad feeling on either part.
  19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I agree. The best way of going about this is for the band to take initiative and ask when booking what's required.
  20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I personally don't charge, especially when helping out a couple of bands who always dep for us when required. They don't charge us either!